Find the answer to your Linux question:
So, some newbie questions are to follow... But first, some context: My first PC had Windows. After that, I got a small netbook for programming, and I've installed Ubuntu and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I'm starting with Ubuntu+Fluxbox again, but I have some problems...

So, some newbie questions are to follow...

But first, some context:

My first PC had Windows. After that, I got a small netbook for programming, and I've installed Ubuntu and Fluxbox on it. It worked great! I really loved Fluxbox because I was able to configure almost anything. But, that netbook kinda decayed over a period of a few years, and I got myself an actual laptop (ProBook 4530s). It came with Linux Suse installed, but I installed Windows 7 over it, I wanted to play games. Of course, I don't really like Windows a lot, so I dual booted Ubuntu. I don't really like Ubuntu either (Unity and so on), so naturally, I remembered Fluxbox, and installed it. It works, yeah, but quite a few things are broken...

1. First of all, how do I configure my keyboard? I've looked everywhere around the intertubes, and I couldn't find it. I even asked a question on superuser.com. I want my keyboard to have the Croatian layout...

2. Also, sound seems broken! How do I get it to work? I've poked around the keys settings in .fluxbox/keys, but nothing...

3. And another thing that is extremely annoying... Whenever I open a file browser, everything seems to change... My desktop background turns to the Ubuntu one and icons suddenly appear, even though Fluxbox doesn't support them. Kinda like half of Ubuntu's WM loads!

How do I go about fixing these problems, because I can't stand them.

Just Joined!
    The keyboard issue has resolved itself, as it seems. I've just installed a new version of Ubuntu, and it works now.

But, I don't know how to get the sound working! I've looked everywhere, and nothing...

Are you doing a md5sum check of downloaded Ubuntu isos?

Fluxbox like you probably never seen it.

Plus my other Fluxbox Desktop
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Are you doing a md5sum check of downloaded Ubuntu isos?
    Nope, I'm not. I really doubt that it's the problem, shouldn't all packages sent over TCP be checked in a similar manner? I never quite understood the need for md5 checking...

Also, how do you get the text on the desktop? If you have some tips on using Fluxbox, shoot.

Text is a Conky running. Taskbar in first screenshot on the side is Tint2. Taskbars on second screenshot is Lxpanels. Md5sum is something I do no matter what distro I install to make sure I have a good download before installing. Keeps me from wondering if problems are from a corrupted downloaded iso.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home