Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14
Like Tree3Likes
Originally Posted by elija Is your ethernet card plugged into your router? Who is your ISP? When I run Code: whois 128.129.175.117 it shows LogicaCMG Inc. All of which suggests ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Is your ethernet card plugged into your router?
    Who is your ISP?

When I run
    Code:
    whois 128.129.175.117
    it shows LogicaCMG Inc. All of which suggests that you are hooking directly into the Internet which is not a good idea.
    I am plugged right into the wall as my ethernet cable is not long enough to hit the router we have. Do you suggest i try to find a way to plug it into the router (The router istelf is also plugged into the wall but into a different wall port than the one the Cent box is plugged into)

EDIT: I'm sorry! i mistyped my IP. its supposed to be 128.120.175.117. Can you whois that to see what comes up? all of the above info about me being plugged into the wall still might be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ktech11 View Post
    Silman
    Are you connected into a router or directly into the wall port that the school provides you with? I remember way back in school that the school would give us very strannge IP addresses and dNS servers. If you, then you may have a problem.

Also, as I have been away from the issue for a while (broken smartphone and sick kids have left me with little time), I would like to put together a summary of the solution in case anyone has a similar issue.

Here is what I have so far:
    Modprobe grabs the wrong driver (r8169) for your realktek card. It needed to be R8168
    To install this, we needed to remove the r8169 driver, download the most up to date r8168 from realtek and run the autorun.sh file. Once this ran, I haven't seen what else has to be done. Do you think you could summarize? Perhaps the original post could have the summary for people's future reference.

By the way major kudos to sticking with this issue for so long! You have been an apt pupil and it is imressive to see someone new to the community stick with this level of troubleshooting!
    I am plugged right into the wall, do you suggest i instead find a way to get to the router instead? (as i said above the router is still plugged into the wall where internet from the college is provided).

Yes that is a decent summary. Don't forget the blacklisting. I will update the OP later (i'm typing this kind of in a hurry) with a full summary! (promise )

Haha, thanks for sticking with me this long, as i have said before all of your guys' tremendous support has made this very annoying problem somewhat easy to deal with. You guys really know a lot (and are good at researching solutions)! I am glad to be apart of this forum and i feel like i will be here for a long time.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Silman View Post
    I am plugged right into the wall as my ethernet cable is not long enough to hit the router we have. Do you suggest i try to find a way to plug it into the router (The router istelf is also plugged into the wall but into a different wall port than the one the Cent box is plugged into)
    that is surely your problem. get yourself a longer ethernet cable, so that you can reach the router. maybe the school will provide one?

Just Joined!
    replying from my phone so please excuse bad spelling.

Why exactly is it important to be plugged into the router? what will being plugged into the route provide me that straight into the wall doesnt?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Silman View Post
    replying from my phone so please excuse bad spelling.

Why exactly is it important to be plugged into the router? what will being plugged into the route provide me that straight into the wall doesnt?
    the router provides you the security of being obscured behind NAT, as well as hopefully a built-in firewall on the router.

as to why it does not work when you go static, a DHCP server can be configured to require clients to use DHCP in order to get out. i don't know if that is it, though. are you sure all your static IP settings are right?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    128.120.175.117 = ucdavis.edu which makes a bit more sense

Using your own router will give you control over your own network, which is then linked in to the larger network via the router being plugged in to the wall; it will let you use static IP addresses and as has been said, it provides additional security.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    the forum wont let me edit my first post so im gonna post the summary here:

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______
    Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet Malfunction solved!
    Summary: (The below summary is an edited version of ktech11's post on page 8 of this thread.)

The following commands should be done as root user to avoid conflicts.

Download the latest driver from realtek's site Realtek scroll to where it says Unix(Linux) and choose your mirror (US1 is the west coast mirror so that maybe the fastest.) I couldn't get an exact link so you will need to download it in the GUI.

In the terminal move to where you downloaded it (normally the user logged in to the gui's home directory e.g. /home/ktech11/Downloads)

Remove the r8169 (must be done as root)
    Code:
    rmod 8169
    verify it is uninstalled
    Code:
    running lsmod | grep r8169
    if it returns a result you you need to remove the drivers
    Code:
    rmod 8169
    Extract the files
    HTML Code:
         tar -xjv f name-of-downloaded-file (you can use tab complete to do this)
    Move in to the newly created directory
    Code:
     cd r8168
    (or whatever the name of the newly created directory is)

Run the autorun.sh script that is in that directory (to make sure it is in there, ls -l)
    as root
    Code:
    autorun.sh
    (you may need to do
    Code:
    bash autorun.sh
    but the first should work).

Now blacklist the r8169 driver
    Code:
    echo "blacklist r8169" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    Credit for this detailed walkthrough goes to realtek-dropping-packets-on-linux-ubuntu-and-fedora - foxhop.net
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

The above should work and get the correct drivers installed for the Realtek 8111/8168B Ethernet Adapter.

If it does not work you may also need to disable SELinux.

To disable SELinux do the following:

Code:
    vi /etc/selinux/config
    Change the file from what it is now which should look like this:
    Code:
    # This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
    # SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
    #     enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
    #     permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
    #     disabled - No SELinux policy is loaded.
    SELINUX=enforcing
    # SELINUXTYPE= can take one of these two values:
    #     targeted - Targeted processes are protected,
    #     mls - Multi Level Security protection.
    SELINUXTYPE=targeted
    to this (i have bolded the line that has changed):
    Code:
    # This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
    # SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
    #       enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
    #       permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
    #       disabled - SELinux is fully disabled.
    SELINUX=disabled
    # SELINUXTYPE= type of policy in use. Possible values are:
    #       targeted - Only targeted network daemons are protected.
    #       strict - Full SELinux protection.
    SELINUXTYPE=targeted
    Note: I have a dinner to attend right now but i will add more relavant information to this summary when i get back and will try to make sure i get everything that was helpful. Please excuse my absence.
    Last edited by Silman; 06-03-2012 at 01:47 AM.

Just Joined!
    Its been a while...i completely forgot about this thread and i wanted to finish the summary (i remembered not finishing last night when i was going to sleep and though "OH ****!").

The last thing i wanted to do was make sure that if someone has the same problem as me is that they PM me, i would be more than glad to help anyone who is having a similar issue! Don't hesitate at all because after all the help i got here as my first time posting in Linuxforums i am so grateful to the people who helped me and i want to share the experience!
    ktech11 likes this.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14