Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Im not looking for quick and easy, im looking to learn as much as possible (without it being completely annoying). i have never written in HTML or any web-based scripts ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Im not looking for quick and easy, im looking to learn as much as possible (without it being completely annoying). i have never written in HTML or any web-based scripts but i really want to learn to write it and get it up on my own server!

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Silman View Post
    Im not looking for quick and easy, im looking to learn as much as possible (without it being completely annoying). i have never written in HTML or any web-based scripts but i really want to learn to write it and get it up on my own server!
    what have you done so far? have you installed and cranked up the web server yet?

start by writing a simple HTML document, and put it in the web server document root. this is probably /var/www/html/. so you could simply open your editor (vi, nedit, etc.) as root, and create a file called "test.html" and put it in the document root. make sure it is world readable. for contents, you can simply put:

hello world

in it and save it. then open that page in your browser, e.g.:

http://localhost/test.html

next would be learning HTML. here is a basic example:

Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>my first webpage</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    This is my <b>first</b> web page!
    <p>
    i could learn more by searching <a href="www.google.com">google</a>
    </body>
    </html>
    HTML is pretty easy. this website has a lot of great explanations, tutorials, and examples. along with HTML, you should get to know CSS (used to format and "pretty up" the appearance of HTML in the browser), and Javascript (ubiquitous toolkit providing dynamic client-side HTML rendering).

Once you've become an HTML master, i'd recommend learning CGI. CGI is what allows you to take input from a user (via a form, etc.), send it back to the server (you) for processing, then return something meaningful back to the user. Learning CGI scripting is where you should be dipping your feet into Perl (or PHP or Python).

Later comes Ajax and the like, but you've got enough on your plate now...

btw, regarding your dev environment - you can get a fancy shmansy editor with lots of plug-ins to help you write your code. but i don't like all the extra fluff. I use a basic editor that supports syntax highlighting (nedit), a browser (firefox - though you should really have IE and Chrome handy to make sure what you code renders properly on the majority of the browsers out there), a web dev firefox plugin (firebug), and a terminal open to tail the apache error log.

good luck and happy coding!

Linux Newbie
    The big thing is to get an idea of what you want to do. I would suggest setting up some virtual machines on one box. One with CentOS set up as a LAMP server as I previously mentioned, one as the previously mentioned and linked back-track linux and one as a deliberatly vulnerable linus install. Try to do them all via the command line. Use the LAMP one to learn administrering a web server and to teach your self HTML (then you can move on the a CMS/DMS like Alfresco for some really cool stuff) and use the other to teach yourself security. Have Fun!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ktech11 View Post
    The big thing is to get an idea of what you want to do. I would suggest setting up some virtual machines on one box. One with CentOS set up as a LAMP server as I previously mentioned, one as the previously mentioned and linked back-track linux and one as a deliberatly vulnerable linus install. Try to do them all via the command line. Use the LAMP one to learn administrering a web server and to teach your self HTML (then you can move on the a CMS/DMS like Alfresco for some really cool stuff) and use the other to teach yourself security. Have Fun!
    I would love to do this, its just i am still pretty new and don't know exactly how. You do mean set up all of these on the server itself, right? i was thinking i would set up backtrack linux on a seperate computer so i can pretend to be the hacker, seeing has how the hacker wont actually be able to physically touch the computer (at least i would hope not haha). Are you suggesting i set up CentOS as a LAMP server and DVL as a mock personal computer?

Thanks again for all the replies guys, you have been really helpful!

Linux Newbie
    I would love to do this, its just i am still pretty new and don't know exactly how. You do mean set up all of these on the server itself, right? i was thinking i would set up backtrack linux on a seperate computer so i can pretend to be the hacker, seeing has how the hacker wont actually be able to physically touch the computer (at least i would hope not haha). Are you suggesting i set up CentOS as a LAMP server and DVL as a mock personal computer?

Thanks again for all the replies guys, you have been really helpful!
    You can set it up however you want. If they are all set up as VMs they are essentially the same as a separate machine. You could set up a VM as a LAMP and a VM as DVL and a separate desktop however you want. What you want to do is get a machine installed with either Virtual Box or the XEN hyper-visor installed to get things started. If you need help or a walkthrough check out howtoforge.com

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ktech11 View Post
    You can set it up however you want. If they are all set up as VMs they are essentially the same as a separate machine. You could set up a VM as a LAMP and a VM as DVL and a separate desktop however you want. What you want to do is get a machine installed with either Virtual Box or the XEN hyper-visor installed to get things started. If you need help or a walkthrough check out howtoforge.com
    The problem I see as someone who isn't familiar with this is how I can have the server run simultaneously with Dvl and backtrack. If I install all three can't I only have one running at a time? Or would they all run simultaneous as virtual machines? Is there any negative side to running the server as a virtual machine? Any abnormalities that i would get if I didn't? I want to learn this as if it were a real server.

Sorry if these com off as dumb questions, you can see how new I really am to servers and linux in general.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    They are not dumb questions at all and I'll try to answer them for you as best I can.

Modern hardware is ridiculously powerful and can easily handle multiple machines. This is done using virtualisation software such as Virtualbox and kvm among others. Many data centres are actually based on virtual machines so they are "real" servers in that sense. If there is a downside to virtual machines then for a beginner it adds another layer into things. It would be simpler to run a GUI based host machine and have a couple of virtual boxes running within that.

There are many advantages to virtual machines such as less power consumption and easy snapshots that be restored very quickly in the event of an "oh crap" moments! Particularly useful when learning
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux Newbie
    The problem I see as someone who isn't familiar with this is how I can have the server run simultaneously with Dvl and backtrack. If I install all three can't I only have one running at a time? Or would they all run simultaneous as virtual machines? Is there any negative side to running the server as a virtual machine? Any abnormalities that i would get if I didn't? I want to learn this as if it were a real server.

Sorry if these com off as dumb questions, you can see how new I really am to servers and linux in general.
    Here is what I would suggest. Run the graphical install of CentOS. Run a standard server installation with a GUI to help you in the event you get really, really stuck. When you get it installed, use the command prompt to install the software you need.

Look at this walk through The Perfect Server - CentOS 6.2 x86_64 With Apache2 [ISPConfig 3] | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials
    when you before setting it up and use most of it. This is a set up of a web server for hosting multiple sites and keeping them separated. You can use most of this.

The next thing you will want to do is install Virtual Box using this tutorial
    Installing Virtualbox 4.1 on CentOS 6.2 - rationallyPARANOID.com
    Let us know if you need more help! Love to see the enthusiasm

Just Joined!
    Thanks so much for the walkthrough! i will definately try to get this up and running this weekend (my parents are bringing the computer that i am using this for up to college for me this weekend). I am worried it might not be powerful enough. If i remember right it is 2010 and has a 2.3 Ghz AMD Phenom processor, with 8GB of DDR2 RAM, and integrated motherboard ATI graphics.

Thanks so much for all your guys' help btw, all this info has really been helpful!

Linux Newbie
    Thanks so much for the walkthrough! i will definately try to get this up and running this weekend (my parents are bringing the computer that i am using this for up to college for me this weekend). I am worried it might not be powerful enough. If i remember right it is 2010 and has a 2.3 Ghz AMD Phenom processor, with 8GB of DDR2 RAM, and integrated motherboard ATI graphics.

Thanks so much for all your guys' help btw, all this info has really been helpful!
    That will have more than enough power for what you want to do. If you start getting a ton of traffic to a site, then maybe it is time to upgrade. Linux is not the resource hog that Windows is, so you will be fine.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast