Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
I have a sorta unrelated question. Should i learn XHTML 1.0 or HTML4? I wanna learn one of them before i learn HTML5 but i hear good and bad things ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I have a sorta unrelated question. Should i learn XHTML 1.0 or HTML4? I wanna learn one of them before i learn HTML5 but i hear good and bad things about both, I'm leaning towards HTML4 because i hear that XHTML really isn't all its chalked up to be. I heard XHTML was hyped up because it included XML but eventually people realized it wasn't all that great and more trouble than its worth. Plus apparently only more popular browsers support XHTML (except IE which apparently doesn't). Or should i just not bother and start with HTML5 some people are telling me to not even bother with the older ones since they will be outdated, and saying that as long as i don't use some of the newer features of HTML5 i will get a good base for learning webdesign.

Sorry if this isn't related but you guys helped so much with advice on getting the server up (which im starting on friday! I just burned CentOS to two DVDs)

EDIT: Also what are some good forums i can join for HTML/PHP/CSS all that web dev stuff?
    Last edited by Silman; 05-23-2012 at 11:26 PM.

Trusted Penguin
    I wouldn't worry about the differences b/t XHTML and HTML 4/5 too much. Basically, the X in HTML means XML, which means that syntax is strictly enforced, but otherwise, it is still basically HTML. Here is a good explanation of the differences at the W3Schools website.

Of course it is a good habit to code with the proper syntax, and coding for the web is no different, so you should try to adhere to the requirements for XML compliance. One good way to do that is to run your code thru an HTML code validation tool, like this one, for example. You'll need to familiarize yourself with the DOCTYPE declaration (explained at link above).

Just Joined!
    So if i learn html and just remember to be good about it is is the same as writing XHTML? What about HTML5? I feel like if XHTML is good because it cleans up code then HtML5 would be strictly enforced also? What about Internet Explorer and not supporting XHTML?

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Silman View Post
    So if i learn html and just remember to be good about it is is the same as writing XHTML?
    well, sort of. you just have to remember the XHTML must be standards-compliant. Here's a good list from the W3Schools article I linked to:
    Code:
    How to Convert from HTML to XHTML

Add an XHTML <!DOCTYPE> to the first line of every page
        Add an xmlns attribute to the html element of every page
        Change all element names to lowercase
        Close all empty elements
        Change all attribute names to lowercase
        Quote all attribute values
    What about HTML5? I feel like if XHTML is good because it cleans up code then HtML5 would be strictly enforced also?
    HTML5 adds a lot of attributes to HTML, and changes the meanings of some existing ones, and drops others. I believe HTML5 will absorb XHTML, too, or at least will be XML compliant, but I'm not sure about that. There is a good StackOverflow thread on HTML5.

What about Internet Explorer and not supporting XHTML?
    apparently, there are ways around that.

Just Joined!
    Yeah i read the page but i was still confused about a lot of the differences. My friend gave me a video series called Pluralsight HTML Fundamentals Introduction and he uses xhtml Transitional in his doctype. If you guys don't have any arguments why i shouldn't do this i guess i will just stick with it. Eventually I am going to switch to HTML5, but i feel like having a good base is necessary for future learning.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Yeah i read the page but i was still confused about a lot of the differences. My friend gave me a video series called Pluralsight HTML Fundamentals Introduction and he uses xhtml Transitional in his doctype. If you guys don't have any arguments why i shouldn't do this i guess i will just stick with it. Eventually I am going to switch to HTML5, but i feel like having a good base is necessary for future learning.
    Excluding the html 5 specific elements, the main difference is one of fastidiousness...

Code:
    <p>This is valid html <strong><em>but</strong></em> it is not valid xhtml.
    <p>so to turn it it to xhtml simply match your closing tags

<p>This is valid html <strong><em>and</em></strong> it is also valid xhtml.</p>
    <p>To turn it it to valid xhtml, I simply matched the closing tags</p>
    It doesn't hurt to use the xhtml style even in html
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    So would you suggest just starting straight from HTML5 since it is the up and coming standard but encouraging myself to complete tags and such in an xhtml form?

Trusted Penguin
    So would you suggest just starting straight from HTML5 since it is the up and coming standard but encouraging myself to complete tags and such in an xhtml form?
    If you do go HTML5, just keep in mind that it is a work-in-progress, in terms of browser compatibility.

check the website www.html5test.com for a fairly exhaustive HTML5 checklist for browsers. here is a fly-off b/t the latest versions of ff, chrome, and ie. keep in mind that most visitors to your site will *not* be running the latest browser, in all likelihood.

The video tag is one big HTML5 addition that will no doubt crop up.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Can't argue with that...
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Hey everyone, i have a question about my CentOS install:

I was following the guide "The Perfect Server for CentOS 6.2" and it said to configure my network with a static IP, a subnet mask, and a gateway, as well as a couple namerservers. I had no idea what to do i so i did some research, after still not understanding it i took a guess! I went with 192.168.0.27 as my static IP, my subnet i put as 255.255.255.0, and my gateway i put down as 192.168.0.1, the nameservers i just copied from the guide (two of them, one 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

I feel like i did something wrong but i'm just gonna truck on with the guide - currently on page 3 - if it turns out i need to completely reinstall im fine with that, i have the DVDs.

Another question: CentOS was just over 5GB so naturally the files came in two so they couild fit on two DVDs but the installation only used the first one, what gives?!

EDIT: guys im lost! I am on step 7 on this page.

i type rpm --import http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt

and it hangs for a little bit and comes back with this error:

curl: (6) Couldn't resolve host 'dag.vieers.com'
    error: http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt: import read failed(2)

after some googling i tried to do this first before import

wget http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt

but it comes back after a while with

wget: unable to resolve host address "dag.wieers.com"
    Last edited by Silman; 05-27-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast