Find the answer to your Linux question:
last week i decided to install puppy linux, lupo 5 something. i am mostly happy with it, should have installed linux years ago. however, i had no real firm idea ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

good linux for web server, sdk, mailservers?

last week i decided to install puppy linux, lupo 5 something. i am mostly happy with it, should have installed linux years ago. however, i had no real firm idea on what to do with my second computer,( my laptop 1G ram, celeron M - dell inspiron 1200)
    that was last week. now this week I have decided what i want to be doing on this computer:

1. running a web LAMP server so i can build drupal and wordpress cms sites on it before uploading to my vps
    2. use sdk/ide software to build mobile web sites and apps
    3. practice running a emailing hosting list using an open source mailserver software.
    my goal is to run my own mailing lists for my business instead of hiring mailchimp or aweber.

(i dont know if you actually "practice" mailing list on a home computer, please fee fee to correct me on that.
    anyway, my question
    did i make a mistake choosing puppy? will it run web servers and sdk software? (i am new to this software, and know nothing about it.)
    its there some other linux that will work better/more efficiently?

Linux Newbie
    Personally, I have never used Puppy Linux, but my go to for Linux servers is always CentOS. I like this since it follows the upstream Red Hat and they are pretty much the biggest player in the Linux server arena. I would suggest running the LAMP server under that, but I would suggest running a different machine for development. If you want to do them both, then I would probably go with Ubuntu. CentOS/RHEL/Fedora and Ubuntu have some of the biggest communities.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Puppy is usually used on computers with low hardware specs. Its not very common to run it as a server operating system. I personally would go for RHEL based distros like CentOS and Scientific Linux. Debian is also a good choice.

Just Joined!
    thanks folks

Linux Engineer
    CentOS or Debian with no gui is great for running webservers.
    On those specs, I don't know how an IDE for a modern mobile device will run, that's going to be the real hurdle. If you're talking android IDE, I know eclipse will install in both CentOS and Debian; Puppy I have no idea (I'm sure it's possible, but may be a headache, and likely not ideal). Of course, you'll need a GUI for the IDE.

Just Joined!
    you mean centOS and Debian dont have the little pictures? i have to look at a black screen? oh no i cant do that, i hate using that black screen and needed to the type in the exact wording or i cant do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    CentOS or Debian with no gui is great for running webservers.
    On those specs, I don't know how an IDE for a modern mobile device will run, that's going to be the real hurdle. If you're talking android IDE, I know eclipse will install in both CentOS and Debian; Puppy I have no idea (I'm sure it's possible, but may be a headache, and likely not ideal). Of course, you'll need a GUI for the IDE.

Linux Engineer
    CentOS and Debian both have the option to install the GUI.

Just Joined!
    thanks for clearing that up. i took a look on youtube to see what it looks like. this will do nicely.