Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
yeah! good news. I tried the hitting Esc and it did indeed bring up the boot device list. It listed both the internal SSD drive and the SD card. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

yeah! good news.
    I tried the hitting Esc and it did indeed bring up the boot device list. It listed both the internal SSD drive and the SD card.
    I then plugged my media card reader in, inserted the CF card and restarted the thing.
    I was pleased to see that it picked up the CF straight away with no hassles at all! I was a little surprised, as I thought as it was plugged in via a media card reader, that it might have needed some extra drivers or something for it to detect it.

Having slept on the idea, I think that installing it to the CF card would be a good idea.
    If for no other reason than the fact this little thing is my only means of connecting to the internet for the next two weeks.
    If I attempt to install it to the internal SSD and something doesn't go to plan, I've then got no means to get online to attempt to find a solution.
    Although going without connection for a while isn't so horrific, it's something I'd like to avoid if possible.
    Also it'll give me a good chance to try the OS out without fear of screwing something up.
    If all goes smoothly, I can always then install it to the internal drive at a later date.
    As having everything go via a USB cable is going to slow it down a bit, I still think I'm going to go for something light-weight despite having a little more space to play with on the CF card (8GB CF vs 4GB internal) as to try and minimize the performance drop.
    Soooo how easy or otherwise is it to install Antix onto the CF card?

Linux Guru
    Without buying a larger SD card, installing to the CF card is your only option. The 4GB SSD is too small for any regular Linux distro. There may be some that will work, but others will have to help you on that. Pay attention to the distro's specs, especially to how much room is needed for installation.

Also, when installing to the CF card, make sure that you tell it to install GRUB (bootloader) to the CF card too. The default is usually the internal drive, and you said that you don't want to mess with that. When I was first installing Linux on my WinXP machines (many years ago), I actually removed the WInXP drives. I didn't know enough then to be sure that I wasn't going to screw them up, so removing them prevented that from happening!
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    This ought to help (it's copied straight from the Antix website):

antix2usb
    You can use the livecd/liveusb/fromiso live (as well as installed antiX) to install an antiX.iso file to usb stick via the antix2usb application.
    1. Boot from live media
    2. Open antiXcc -> Disks -> antix2usb, provide root password
    3. Select Iso file - Navigate to the antiX.iso file
    4. Choose a system partition size of circa 10 MB bigger than the selected Iso file
    5. Set options for antix2usb ie persistent.
    6. Make sure hal is disabled before hitting Apply (/etc/init.d/hal stop)
    7. Once finished, you should have a bootable live usb stick with persistence enabled
    8. If you have an older computer, you might need to add this to the /boot/grub/menu.lst to stop being dropped to a limited shell, when booting from the usb stick.
    rootdelay=10

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    oooh heck, confusion ahoy! :S
    From what I can understand, I need to use both the SD and CF cards.. the SD to put the installer image onto and the CF card as the destination drive where I'm going to install it to..is this correct?

Okay, from what I can see there seems to be three versions of Antix: full, base and core. Do I need any of these, or is this antix2usb thing a version of antix itself..or is that the thing I need to write the installer image to the SD card?

I feel so very out of my comfort zone right now. lol

Linux Guru
    Full or base iso, depending on how many apps you want by default live iso. Me. On the 8 gig CF . You have plenty of room to do a full install of AntiX full iso or a persistent flash install to cf card with antix2usb.sh.

Depends on you though. If doing a regular full install to cf card. Follow waterheads instructions.

Also, when installing to the CF card, make sure that you tell it to install GRUB (bootloader) to the CF card too
    Yet Another Technology Site: Install AntiX 8.2 Final on External Flash Drive

That out to cover your question

Soooo how easy or otherwise is it to install Antix onto the CF card?
    It was made by me. It won't be a walk in the park. Mint and Ubuntu based distros may be easier but more bloated IMO.
    But I think I covered all the bases on what glitches may come up in my how to.

Good luck with it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4