Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
The laptop is not on the same network. The laptop is connected to a Clearwire wifi modem. The Desktop is connected to a Time Warner broadband cable. I am not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

The laptop is not on the same network.

The laptop is connected to a Clearwire wifi modem.

The Desktop is connected to a Time Warner broadband cable.

I am not well educated on internet modems and router so I do not know the terminology well.

But the two computers are definitely on different networks independent from each other with two different ip addresses.

The laptop is running linux mint, Also I have an iphone and I cannot get the domain name now that it points to a DDNS nameserver with dnxexit.com.

I can connect on a firefox web browser to /var/www/html/ with an index.html, info.php and wordpress file.

but I cannot connect to my domainname.com.

Linux Newbie
    Ok, sorry, I misread something in the previous post. Can you get to the index page or wordpress file from the laptop? Or only the server? Do you know the IP address that TimeWarner is giving you right now? If so, then lets remove the DDNS from the entire system. Chances are you don't have the CNAME record in your domain host to allow you to redirect your domain name to another domain name. For the time being, lets remove variables and make sure you can get things started. I would log in to your domain registrar and point your domain name to the public IP address that Time Warner is giving you. This may take a little while for all the DNS servers to register. Also, you can change your host file on the Mint desktop to point the domain you want the server to respond on using the public IP like so:

From a terminal:
    nano /etc/hosts
    Add the public IP of your server and the domainname you want it to respond on
    E.G. 123.456.789.012 myawesomedomainname.com
    then CTRL+O to write out and CTRL+X to exit
    From GUI
    Browse to /etc
    Open ./hosts with Gedit and make the same change
    You may have to restart your network services.

Please let me know how that goes and if you want me to take a look at the httpd.conf, you can post it or PM it to me.
    animaguy likes this.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your help so far. Sorry for the long delay.

I finally purchased a capable router to add to my hardware for this server.

I will reread this thread and I will post a more detailed update on the current state.

Theoretically I should have all the necessary hardware to build this server.

Tonight I will pick up where I left off.

Linux Newbie
    Let me know if there is any more help you need.
    animaguy likes this.

Just Joined!
    So I need to backtrack a bit because there is a question I need to see if I can resolve.

Earlier you wrote:

1. Don't keep re-installing once you run in to a problem. Keep logging your steps and back out of mistakes. This will help you learn how to fix broken things as you don't want to wipe a server at the first sign of trouble.
    I definitely want to follow this advice, however, I am currently looking for a resolution for a recurring problem that I have regarding my current workflow (and I can change my workflow if it is not theoretically efficient).

You may have to bear with me regarding my reasoning.

When I started this project, as I have previously mentioned, I would start back from the beginning everytime the problems go out of hand. However I am definitely skilled at installing the default CentOS 6 now and it is now definitely redundant.

I have a desktop and two laptops, the desktop is definitely more powerful and faster than the laptops, 8gb ram, Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, Nvidia Quadro 600 graphics card, 320gb internal harddrive, 64-bit ready.

It isn't an extremely powerful computer by most standards but it is the most powerful computer I own and it should be enough to run a web server dedicated to a single domain.

The laptops I generally use for experimentation, surfing the web and listening to video tutorials and podcasts.

However, I want to customize the distro by installing packages. If the packages are available on the default repositories then yum install <package> is my normal route. I still do not use System > Administration > Add/Remove Software, I personally prefer the command-line unless I someone can convince me that the System > Administration > Add/Remove Software. And in most cases the packages I want to utilize are not part of the default repositories.

For instance Eclipse I have found is best installed as a standalone and I usually place it in my home folder.

Another example cmake can be downloaded but the default package is older and some of the open source packages I want to develop for require the newest cmake to build with.

Those are the main examples and others have come along too as well.

Here is the problem.

If the webserver is built and running smoothly, and I decide to install a package on the webserver, and the package isn't in a repository, and I have to resort to downloading the source, tar the source, cd into the source file, ./configure, make, make install and somewhere within that process an error shows up, how will it affect the overall OS?
    Can I clean up the mess and restore the system back to the same state it was before I started the ./configure command?
    At first, when an error occurred, I would just move the source file to the trash, and re-download the source file and start from there, however, I believe that the mess from the first error needs to be cleaned up before trying again.

I thought about this issue for sometime. I know the command:

yum grouplist | tee boot.txt

but that only shows available and installed group packages.

Is there a command with yum that lists individual packages (especially the packages that were manually installed and are not party of the default repositories)?
    And is there a yum command that lists the currently installed repositories?

Just Joined!
    actually I finally learned

yum list all | tee boot.txt

so now I can study the installed programs and eliminate a bad ./configure source file

Linux Newbie
    A few things to help you out:
    1. you are not stuck with the default repo's. There are several very good repositories out there and encourage you to use them. The first being RPMforge.

2. You can install any locally downloaded RPM file using yum by doing yum install /path/to/rpm/file

3. To see what repos you have installed you go to /etc/yum.repo.d/ and you can see all the repositories you have installed.

Also, I would encourage you to continue to install using yum. The GUI installer just references the repo's you have installed already.
    animaguy likes this.

Just Joined!
    I have been doing a lot of newbie research and I actually have a lot to share. Some of the information may be old news to you but since you are helping me I will share it because it may give you more information if you decide to mentor another newbie in the future regarding a CentOS webserver.

The first thing I will say is:

I now know why I was having problems with the Perfect CentOS Server Tutorial:
    The Perfect Server - CentOS 6.3 x86_64 (Apache2, Courier, ISPConfig 3) | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

The initial problem I had was that the install on the iso didn't linearly follow the directions on the tutorial. Because the directions on the wiki was much more simpler for me to understand and because I have never done this before, I decided to just let the Perfect Server pass and concentrate on the wiki.

I was reading random posts on this website and I came accross the below post in the Server Forum.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ser...eb-server.html

and Lazydog wrote:

If you are planning on using Centos then I would suggest you download the CentOS-6.3-x86_64-minimal.iso as this is bare minimum to get the machine up and running. Then install what is needed to host your web site. This way you are not going to be installing items you do not need or want as with the other distros that default into loading things you will never use.
    I was unsure at first what was meant by CentOS-6.3-x86_64-minimal.iso so I checked out centos.org and looked up the first mirror I could get to and "bingo". I downloaded the CentOS-6.3-x86_64-minimal.iso and did a test run and it turns out that is the iso needed to follow the Perfect Server Tutorial.

So now that I have figured that out, I am highly considering following the Perfect Server Tutorial.

I am at this point really taking a break and doing research on my next move. And your above advice is definitely part of the decision making process. But I am going to be thorough in posting my decisions and how I make those decisions on this thread so that you will get proper credit for mentoring me on this subject.

animaguy

Just Joined!
    Another quick issue that has come up.

Someone suggested that I consider having two internal harddrives on my desktop.

One harddrive will be dedicated to the server.

The second harddrive would be dedicated as a software development environment.

I have two laptops for everyday use type of activities.

And it was further suggested that I purchase a 120 gb SSD for the web server hard drive and once installed I should avoid any changed, including updates to the SSD. This will be a way to keep the server from breaking and according to some SSD's degrade if you continuously write and delete so I could beta test SSD technology with a web server for speed and minimize degradation.

So if all of the above is true, I am going to want to master the CentOS webserver installation process on my current SATA harddrive. Once mastered I am going to want to do a one time installation of the webserver on the SSD and let the SSD stand once the website is fully operational.

Regarding the second harddrive, I took some time to contemplate using a different distro but I may stay with CentOS 6 as the OS unless convinced otherwise. The big issue is that I want to use the second harddrive as a C/C++, Python, Java and PHP development environment and that would be a determining factor as to what OS is used and how the settings are configured.

Any suggestions would be taken into consideration.
    animaguy

Linux Newbie
    A couple of things:
    1. Any server that you are going to have publicly facing should be updated regularly. This will help keep the level of security high.
    2. I wouldn't bother with an SSD in a web server has you generally are not going to have high amounts of IO on a web server, and the hard drive seek will be fine.
    3. If you are going to have 2 hard drives in there and running a production server, I would set them up in a RAID in order to give you some fault tolerance.
    4. If you are wanting to host multiple servers on the same box, then you should look at using a hypervisor to create multiple VM's on the box.

First lets get a good server install completed and we can go from there. Get CentOS installed, get a web service up and running and work on it from there. After that, I can send you some docs and links on setting up your server with either KVM or VirtualBox.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast