Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
I have read the Server instructions on this forum. I have been attempting to install a Linux Server on Xubuntu 12.04. Questions: Can this be done with Eclipse instead of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Server/Eclipse/Netbeans/Glassfish question

I have read the Server instructions on this forum. I have been attempting to install a Linux Server on Xubuntu 12.04.

Questions:

Can this be done with Eclipse instead of Netbeans?
    (I am more familiar with Eclipse)

Is Glassfish the best server?

and is Fedora a better distro than Ubuntu in setting up a server?

if so, why?

Linux Newbie
    With regards to setting up a server, I would not recommend using Fedora as it is primarily a desktop distro. If you want to use an RHEL variant, either use the community edition of RHEL or use CentOS (I usually use CentOS). I prefer these for servers mostly because of proven track record and there is a much larger install base so there is more support. That being said, there is a TON of support for Ubuntu as well. I have not had the pleasure of reading the server walkthrough from this forum, but if you could post a link to it, I could better answer the rest of you question. I do have one of my own, what are you trying to accomplish?
    animaguy likes this.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the response. Funny coincidence, I chose to use Centos and am currently learning the process. Thanks again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by animaguy View Post
    Thank you for the response. Funny coincidence, I chose to use Centos and am currently learning the process. Thanks again.
    That is funny. No problem. Let me know if you need anything else. Are you building an application development server?
    animaguy likes this.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ktech11 View Post
    That is funny. No problem. Let me know if you need anything else. Are you building an application development server?
    I am interested in building an application development server but I would like to start building a web server first and put a wordpress blog as an online diary for my experience.

Thanks again for the response.

I could use some advice on the web server.

I followed the directions from:
    Setting up an SSL secured Webserver with CentOS

I followed the steps by step instruction but now, because I am new to this, I don't know how to get a simple html file online.
    I believe that I need to configure the httpd.conf file and more specifically the VirtualName and VirtualHost directives.
    I am having a hard time finding information that would best suit my individual needs.

I briefly tried:

The Perfect Server - CentOS 6.2 x86_64 With Apache2 [ISPConfig 3]

but right now it is just a tad bit complicated for me and I just want to do something basic for now until I can learn more.

If I can just put up a simple html file and then a basic wordpress blog on the internet, I would be happy.

If you have any suggestions as to what I am missing I would appreciate it.

My question is this:

Where can I find information that I need to configure the httpd.conf file so that I can get a simple web page online?

Thanks again.

Linux Newbie
    So the Perfect Server walk through gives you the basics of what you need. I would simply parse through that to eliminate anything that references the ISPConfig3. The httpd.conf file needs a couple of configuration changes. First, look for the line towards the bottom of the file that is #NameVirtualHost *:80 and uncomment it by removing the # in front of name (this allows you to host multiple sites on the same server). Then you want to make sure that you have the httpd service turned on. To set up a wordpress site, it is really easy, you just follow the 5 minute set up instructions on their site to get it up and running. To get it responding on the web, you either need to have a static IP and a public DNS record to get people to be able to find it, or set up dynamic DNS and point your domain name to that.
    animaguy likes this.

Just Joined!
    Wow! Thanks a lot for your help. I don't really get many responses on these forums.

Just to update.

I have progressed in building my server but there are problems.

Since you have been really helpful I will explain in greater detail what I have been doing.

I have 3 computers, 1 is an 8gb desktop, 1 is a 4gb 64 bit laptop and the other is a 1 gb 32 bit laptop upgradable to 2gb.

The 1 gb laptop is currently dormant but I may use it for testing purposes in the future.

Also I have 2 internet connections. The first is a wifi modem Clearwire account and the other is a Time Warner broadband account.

The server is currently on the Desktop (CentOS 6.2).

When I open firefox I can access the var/www/html with localhost, 127.0.0.1 and my ip address.

I have successfully completed a LAMP server and I tested it with a wordpress.org file.

My process has been to follow the directions written on the Centos.org < Wiki < How To < Webserver < Setting up an SSL secured Webserver with CentOS page.

Up until now, I have skipped the 3. Setting up the virtual hosts section.

I have also followed the HowtoForge < Installing Apache2 With PHP5 And MySQL Support On CentOS 6.2 (LAMP) tutorial to set up the LAMP server.

I have previous experience with WAMP and MAMP and wordpress.

I have been building a gedit text document step by step diary of everything that I am satisfied with doing all the way from downloading the CentOS LiveDVD to the CentOS Wiki tutorial and the HowtoForge tutorial. Plus I was able to add a few more tricks after researching.

Whenever I get tired or the process gets out of control regarding accountability I simply start all over again from my previous notes and when I reach the point where I left off I start experimenting until I find a solution to a problem. I stopped counting how many times I have reinstalled CentOS on my desktop. I becoming an expert on the 6.2 installation process.

Right now it only takes me about an hour to get to the point of where I am at right now.

I purchased a domain name from register.com. And after reading your advices I setup a free DDNS with dnsexit.com.

I downloaded a rpm package with dnsexit.com and had my domain name pointed to the dnsexit.com servers via the register.com control panel.

I found a website that gave me instructions regarding configuring the httpd.conf file and the VirtualHosts Directives at the end of the file.

Just before reading your last post I was able to open up a firefox browser and access a basic index.html file in the /var/www/html/ folder not only with localhost, 127.0.0.1 and my ip address but also with my domain name.

The desktop server is connected to the Time Warner Broadband. And the 4gb laptop is connected to the Clearwire modem.

I could not access the website via ip address or the domain name with the laptop.

At that point I was very tired and my ability to think straight was compromised so I decided to stop and go to sleep which ended up a 30 minute power nap.

Unfortunately after stopping everything I made two major mistakes.

1) I didn't record the web address of the VirtualHost website tutorial.
    2) I didn't backup the httpd.conf file with the tweaked VirtualHost Directives.

So when I rebooted and started the process over again, I could not remember what I did to get the domain name working on my local browser.

But as it currently stands, I can install CentOS, install a webserver that works locally with the default httpd.conf configurations, I can set up a LAMP server that also works locally, and I can access a info.php file and a wordpress folder in the /var/www/html/ folder with:

1) localhost
    2) 127.0.0.1
    3) my ip address

My next two goals are to:

1) access the /var/www/html/ folder with my domain name in a local firefox browser on my desktop with the Time Warner connection
    2) and access the /var/www/html/ folder with my domain name and ip address in a firefox browser on my 4gb laptop with the Clearwire connection

Also I have been studying the Apache HTTP Server Version 2.2 Directive Index to help me better understand how to tweak the httpd.conf file.

Question:
    Is there anymore further advice you can share to help me with my two goals?

Again, I can't tell you how thankful I am for your help. I am pleasantly surprised at the progress I have made so far. I started with Ubuntu long time ago but at the time it was too complicated for me. Recently I tried LinuxMint as a desktop and I still use it on the 4gb laptop. I temporarily went back to Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu Studio and Xubuntu 12.04. And I have experimented with PCLinux, Knoppix Fedora. Your assurance that CentOS is a solid server distro and the DDNS advice was mightily helpful. It saved me time because i am confident that CentOS is the right distro to suit my needs. I had been debating between fedora, RHEL, scientific and CentOS. And I previously was completely clueless about DDNS and how it works. I knew that my dynamic ip address was an issue but now I believe that I have the solution with the information about DDNS you have provided.

This is just a hobby for me but it is turning me into a dedicated linux user. To me it is just a fun puzzle and I almost have all the pieces I need to complete it.

Thanks again my friend for the help.

Linux Newbie
    I will have more time tonight to go through where you are in detail. I will take a look and give you some advice later this evening.
    animaguy likes this.

Just Joined!
    Thanks pal.

Linux Newbie
    Ok, so I have two pieces of advice:
    1. Don't keep re-installing once you run in to a problem. Keep logging your steps and back out of mistakes. This will help you learn how to fix broken things as you don't want to wipe a server at the first sign of trouble.
    2. If you are trying to connect to you server from a laptop on the same network you will need to edit the hosts file on that laptop in order to see the server. This happens when an Internal or external DNS record doesn't exist or hasn't populated yet. Start with that, and make sure you can get connected to the server from a machine on your network and then lets move on to the access externally.

What OS are you running on the laptop? I can give you instructions for editing the hosts file if I know the OS. If you want I can take a look at your httpd.conf file and give you some advice on it. Generally, if you simply uncomment the line for NameBasedVirtualHost and add the Virtual host directives following the example in the httpd.conf file, you will be fine.

I always start with getting access to the server from a local machine on the network prior to worrying about outside access.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast