Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree3Likes
Since I moved to red hat I have problems every time I install something and sometimes for random reasons. For example, today I had another problem. Until yesterday the package ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Since I moved to red hat I have problems every time I install something and sometimes for random reasons. For example, today I had another problem. Until yesterday the package manager was updating very nicely and without problems. Today there it didn't work at all. I didn't install anything or did anything during this time. It just broke alone. It says that it can't find anything in the repository or something like that. (I would tell you the message it gives, but I'm not currently in the lab)

Quote Originally Posted by copono View Post
    Easier than double clicking the installer and clicking next many times?
    I have never had any problem installing any software in windows.
    Windows does not allow you to install a wide range of programs from a central location. On Windows, you have to locate the program you want from the website, download it, install it, and then repeat for every single program that you want. Once you learn to use a package manager (which isn't hard) life is actually easier.
    copono likes this.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by copono View Post
    Since I moved to red hat I have problems every time I install something and sometimes for random reasons. For example, today I had another problem. Until yesterday the package manager was updating very nicely and without problems. Today there it didn't work at all. I didn't install anything or did anything during this time. It just broke alone. It says that it can't find anything in the repository or something like that. (I would tell you the message it gives, but I'm not currently in the lab)
    I have noticed sometimes that the repository web servers go down for what I'm assuming is routine maintainance.
    If it is down longer than an hour I'd just try to clear any cache the manager might have had and force it to update its package list.

As for the discussion at hand I would like to point out all of the available methods discussed are not an exhaustive list.

Methods to install software on a computer

1. Single load programs ... Eg diagnostics not practical in the modern world
    2. DOS style of installation ( from what I remember although I haven't used DOS for work In years) everything is copied to its own directories no shared objects / dynamic link libraries.. All configuration was stored in INI files ( by far in my opinion the best way dos then windows did installs ) I can't speak for unix in the 80s or early 90s so idk how they did it
    3. Install via tar balls slow like what you would expect from a windows install however much more efficient .. Shared objects and possible dependency hell
    4. Modern Mac and Window installation single install at a time .easier to use with no training or thought ...DLL and DLL hell could ensue also windows has the registry which also can cause a lot more pain than package managers ever could
    5 . Command line package managers . Like tar balls with less chance of dependency hell however from my personal experience it can be unweilding to find programs without a understanding of regular expressions ( I only have a basic one )
    6. Package manager front end GUIs meld package managers with ease to use but again sometimes you are required to use the backend to fix problems
    7. App store / Microsoft store / android market .... Make me wish for single load machines ... Omg are they annoying and excruciating and in my opinion all the utility of having a car salesmen In your home while simultaneously taking freedom of configuration away and dumbing down society ... He types via his iPhone
    copono likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3