Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am still a newbie! Earlier I had dual boot in my laptop with Fedora 16 & Windows 7. I decided to replace Windows altogether with Debian. I formatted the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    tsh
    Just Joined!

Help with Grub !

I am still a newbie! Earlier I had dual boot in my laptop with Fedora 16 & Windows 7. I decided to replace Windows altogether with Debian. I formatted the disk of windows & manually installed debian with separate space of 10 GB for /root, 4 GB of swap & rest with the /home. It got installed but the boot loader for Fedora has disappeared. Is there a way I could restore Fedora? please help?

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tsh View Post
    I am still a newbie! Earlier I had dual boot in my laptop with Fedora 16 & Windows 7. I decided to replace Windows altogether with Debian. I formatted the disk of windows & manually installed debian with separate space of 10 GB for /root, 4 GB of swap & rest with the /home. It got installed but the boot loader for Fedora has disappeared. Is there a way I could restore Fedora? please help?
    Well this depends on where you had "grub" placed on the hard drive for both of your linux installs. If both were to the MBR, you only have one grub installed. In this case, you will need to add information in the grub configuration file to tell it the "/boot" is for the "Fedora" partition, the location of the kernel, and maybe the location of the initramfs. This are still in the grub config file within the Fedora's "/boot/grub" location. Each entry for a linux system within the grub configuration file include lines that start with:
    Code:
    title 
    root 
    kernel
    initrd
    Note that if a "init ramdisk" or a "init ram fs" (newer than the init ramdisk) are not being used then there will not be an "intrd" line.