Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed Linux Mint 13 MATE. I love the UI, but I hear it's not very good altogether. Could someone recommend something more powerful and advanced, but with a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help picking a distro...

I recently installed Linux Mint 13 MATE. I love the UI, but I hear it's not very good altogether. Could someone recommend something more powerful and advanced, but with a fairly polished UI? I am new to linux, but I've spent years using Mac OS X, and I'm equally comfortable with GUI and command line.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

I'd recommend checking out the top 10 or so distros in the Page Hit Ranking chart found at DistroWatch.com and since you've already tried Mint, the first distro on the list, just keep on moving down the list until you find a distro that you like. Most of the distros at the top of that listing are considered to be pretty good options for new Linux users. Good luck with it.
    oz

From what you say you might want to check out netrunner 4.2 "Dry Land". I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. But I intend to do so soon. From what I've read of the reviews and on their website it looks like it could be pretty neat, if it lives up to the billing. And, at a lot of the review sites people have stated that it is really more for the intermediate user than the raw beginner. The dev's have stated that their target audience is both the new and "power" user. It's ranked 52 on distrowatch. But, that could just be because not many people have heard of it yet. I've been getting in to *nix for about a year and I only happened on it a couple of days ago. I also highly recommend Kubuntu because it's stable and IMHO easy to use.

Depends on what you are looking for. I am happy with Mint/Mate, but if you want more eye candy or some other feature, you could try changing DE's to gnome, kde, or cinamon.
    Registered Linux user #526930