Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I'm new to Linux and have decided to migrate and make it my OS of choice. As you all know, it take some time and research before you give ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help with Partition Scheme

Hello. I'm new to Linux and have decided to migrate and make it my OS of choice. As you all know, it take some time and research before you give the big step. I'm currently using Fedora 17 - xfce on a virtual machine on live mode. Next step will be to install it on the virtual machine. After that, I will install the distro on my machine along with Windows. And then, the big goal is to install Fedora as my only OS in my laptop.

Before that, i've read a lot about partitioning and the importance it has on Linux. After much researching, I came to the following distribution:

/ (root) --- swap --- /home

But i'm a little confused about the size of each one. Also, i've read that some partitions must be on certain positions in the hard disk for easer and fastest access, but I don't know witch ones and in what position.

I would deeply thank any help from you on this matter. Also, if you have any other suggestion about distros or anything else, i would be eager to read them.

Thank you a lot.

Ps: My HDD has 300GB and my RAM has 3GB.

Trusted Penguin
    if you are talking disk drives (versus SSD), then data is written at the beginning of the drive (outer edges). for the most part, the speed difference is uniform until you hit the last 10-15% or so of the disk. this can vary from manufacture to manufacturer, though.

so just put your swap and heavily used partitions up front. unless you are really looking to squeeze the most out of the drives, you probably won't notice much of a difference. i only bother doing the math if i'm setting up a system that must have a /data partition that can sustain writes speeds that exceed "normal" usage.

as to filesystem space allocation, there is no hard figure for what you should use. just make sure your root partition ("/") doesn't run out of space (unless you're using LVM). if you make it 20 - 30 GB, e.g., you should be fine. your /boot partition only needs to be around 500MB. for SWAP, there are many theories/calculations (some even say don't use it), but for home use, allocating as much swap as you have RAM, but not to exceed 2GB, is probably fine. for /home, you can make it the rest of the disk.

/boot will be the first partition (e.g., /dev/sda1), and if you have swap, make it sda2, then / (sda3) and /home (sda4). note that some distros don't let you specify the order of anything after /boot - they'll reorder them for you. so if you really care about what goes where, you may have to go in advanced mode; or fdisk the drive(s) yourself beforehand and then use advanced mode in the installer.

a note on partitions (assuming you are not using GPT): you can make sda4 an extended partition, which spans the space after sda3 to the end of the disk. then you can create a bunch of logical partitions inside it (sda5, sda6, sdaN). the installers will often do this for you, but it is good to know.