Find the answer to your Linux question:
Trying to play some Z files in linux. I'm running a shell front-end called Cathode. I can run Cathode, however when I change the directory, I can't seem to find ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trying to find a directory in Linux.

Trying to play some Z files in linux. I'm running a shell front-end called Cathode. I can run Cathode, however when I change the directory, I can't seem to find the directory with the z files in it.

I'm using a macbook pro, and jumped into linux enabling root user. However, I still couldn't find the directory with these games. I figured that I probably installed this folder in the wrong place -the applications folder. Enabling the root user is probably a no no for someone like me, so I disabled it and thought I'd talk to you guys!
    I know when you install software in OSX, you're give the option of installing it on your hard drive or applications folder. I typically install on my applications folder, however. I have this z folder in my applications folder when I probably should have them on my HD. Again, new to this whole LInux thing, but it sure would be cool to be able to cd my way to this folder once I find it. Does this make any sense at all?

Thanks for reading, and for your patience

Linux Guru
    Where does Linux fit into this equation? You reference Linux but indicate you are using a macbook pro. Have you installed Linux to this machines hard drive? Are you using Linux from a Live CD? If you are using Linux, it would be helpful if you indicated which version as there are hundreds currently available.

Hello and Welcome!

Adding to what yancek said, I just want to point out that Linux and OSX operate in very different ways.
    Installed applications typically go into the /bin or /usr/bin directories.
    To find them, you can use the which command to locate it.
    Code:
    man which
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    OK. This is extremely embarrassing: I thought that Mac OSX was based on Linux, and that Terminal was just another way to access it. I'm beginning to see how far off base I am!!! It looks like what I'm trying to do has nothing to do with Linux!!! My problem still exists, but it looks like I need to post this question in a MacOsX Terminal forum, and NOT Linux.

So sorry to waste everyones time...

As they are both based on UNIX, it's an easy mistake to make.
    But to point you in the right direction, this is a popular Mac Forum: Mac Forum & Discussions on Apple Products and Services

Best of luck!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thank you, Jay!

Very kind!

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Code:
    man which
    \0/ my favorite part

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by mactruck View Post
    man which
    \0/ my favorite part
    lol! missed that one...

another good one: if you have sextractor installed (a catalogue builder for astronimical images) and you wanted to know more about it, you might type:

Code:
    man sex
    i've never installed it myself. not that there's anything wrong with that...