Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Late 2009 model MacBook and am running Mac OS X Lion. I used the Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows 7 about 3 months ago, and just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Triple-boot on MacBook issues

I have a Late 2009 model MacBook and am running Mac OS X Lion. I used the Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows 7 about 3 months ago, and just a few days ago installed BackTrack alongside the two other operating systems.

To determine which one I boot into at startup, I use rEFIt.

Unfortunately, when I select the Windows 7 partition now, it goes into GRUB instead of windows 7. GRUB does not recognize windows 7 as existing on the drive. (Disk Utility in Mac OS X recognizes it as existing, however)

How can I boot into windows 7 now? I do not want to reinstall windows, I have a lot of work saved in windows 7 that I can't lose.

Linux Guru
    Are you able to boot into Backtrack? If so, look at the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file to see if there is an entry for windows 7. Why do you have to go to Grub to boot windows? Can't you boot it directly from the Mac bootloader? It's pretty hard to guess not knowing your partition structure or having information on boot files?n

Just Joined!
    I don't need to go into GRUB, i would like to go directly into windows from rEFIt. It loads grub instead of loading windows, like it did before.

Linux Guru
    If I understand, you want to boot your windows installation from your Mac with the Mac bootloader? Sounds like a problem with where you installed the bootloader while installing Backtrack. You haven't posted any drive/partition information or boot files so I don't see how we can help. Might be better off on a Mac forum given you want to use the Mac bootloader to boot windows. You need to take a look at your boot files.

Just Joined!
    No, I'm using rEFIt. Which is not a standard bootloader. And GRUB is what's interfering... Attached is Disk Utility's partition information.Dat.jpg
    If this is not what you asked for, give me some unix shell commands to run.