Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have some subtle system malfunctions and most likely some insecurities on my system as i have yet to actually configure everything to my taste. I have spent several months ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

How to properly read log files

I have some subtle system malfunctions and most likely some insecurities on my system as i have yet to actually configure everything to my taste. I have spent several months trying to refine and use all my hardware and i have gotten most if not all of it down however i notice small errors in both the boot log , and dmesg log and i am sure several other logs have small errors in need of fixing however I have come to the point i find it difficult to glean information from the mass of log files and i need to find out how to properly read them. Does anyone know of a resource that can teach how to read log files and what the content means.
    I have checked google and have yet to find more than a cursory amount of information on the log files. But then again i might not know exactly what i need to look for

Linux Engineer
    Try using logwatch It will mine out the important stuff, and group together the repeat stuff.

Other than that, grep is your friend.