Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I would like to download and install ubuntu on a toshiba tecra. Is it possible to do it with no external storage? If so...how? Make that where.... Downloading and installing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question download ubuntu ?

I would like to download and install ubuntu on a toshiba tecra. Is it possible to do it with no external storage?

If so...how?

Make that where....

Downloading and installing using the "foolproof" windows installer on ubuntu.com <cringe>

Thanks ahead!

~my computer's redneck with stickin g's and t's
    Last edited by Jackrabbit; 09-05-2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: fixed/new question

Can't see the whole screen but am using ubuntu, yay!

what do you mean you can't see the whole screen?

The right side is cut off. I get "Reply W" where it cuts off next to "Reply" on the bottom right of these comment windows. I'm using wubi.

I may be prejudiced, but I think you will be happier with a regular install instead of a WUBI. Also from your other post, it looks like you are a little light in ram to run Ubuntu, Lubuntu would run better.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrabbit View Post
    The right side is cut off. I get "Reply W" where it cuts off next to "Reply" on the bottom right of these comment windows. I'm using wubi.
    I assume the Tecra has quite a low resolution. The Linux Forums code has a really strange thing where the body has the x overflow hidden. If you are using a compatible browser (Firefox and Seamonkey for sure) then you can install the Stylish extension and see this post for a rule to fix it

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    I may be prejudiced, but I think you will be happier with a regular install instead of a WUBI. Also from your other post, it looks like you are a little light in ram to run Ubuntu, Lubuntu would run better.
    I would agree with MasonTX with the caveat that I saw a review of Lubuntu that said it doesn't have access to the full set of Ubuntu repositories. I assume that is only by default and that you can add the others manually.
    Last edited by elija; 09-06-2012 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Spelling and typing; at least one of them is bad
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

is iso a zip? and other questions lubuntu

I actually found the "zoom" command under view in mozilla firefox.

I have downloaded Ubuntu, I am going to download Lubuntu after reading recent posts. I am using windows to (hopefully) burn it (something I've never done before).

Is an iso a zip file?

How do open it / which program do I use? edit: I am going to try FY-zip, great article on techie buzz for opening files but I can't post url's yet.

Is this okay to do with windows or even possible from wubi without setting up prigramming in it?

I LOVE OpenOffice and avast. They are running now in windows so am I correct in assuming they should run fine in Lubuntu?

Is avast even necessary in linux? Maybe until I understand more about partitioning?
    Last edited by Jackrabbit; 09-06-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: added a title

I have downloaded Ubuntu, I am going to download Lubuntu after reading recent posts. I am using windows to (hopefully) burn it (something I've never done before).

Is an iso a zip file?

How do open it / which program do I use?
    You open it with a CD burner and burn it as an iso file or an image. You should end up with a file system on the disk rather than a single file. Windows has many free or commercial disk burners. I'm afraid I have no idea about wubi.

Is this okay to do with windows or even possible from wubi without setting up prigramming in it?

I LOVE OpenOffice and avast. They are running now in windows so am I correct in assuming they should run fine in Lubuntu?

Is avast even necessary in linux? Maybe until I understand more about partitioning?
    OpenOffice was forked to LibreOffice which will be immediately familiar, yet better than OpenOffice. It will either be installed by default or available in the repositories of most distributions. OpenOffice is still available in the unlikely event of LibreOffice not meeting your needs.

There are virus scanners for Linux but are they necessary? I'm afraid the answer is both yes and no.

If you stick to installing software from the repositories and occasionally from a very trusted outside source; which to fair is a rare requirement anyway, then even though there is malware out there for Linux you limit the already rare possibility of infection further. If you are sharing documents with Windows users then you should probably run a virus scanner. Linux can act as a carrier for Windows malware and not scanning for it could be considered rude
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

do I extract the iso file?

Now I'm wondering if I even have a cd burner.

It's hard to imagine something better than OpenOffice! Awesome!

I'm on a home laptop so I shouldn't be file sharing! If I am, I don't know about it and there getting thier just rewards, lol.

I'm lost on the iso: I tried to open it and it said I had to extract it? So I downloaded FY-zip for that purpose. I will look for a cd burner...

edit: I can copy files to the cd but do I need to extract the iso first?
    Last edited by Jackrabbit; 09-06-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: update

I don't really use Windows but this looks promising
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast