Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm sorry for my stupid questions. I just want to make sure that I don't encounter any problems later when I use the command. honestly I'm only recycling commands from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

'logout' in the Gnome Terminal

I'm sorry for my stupid questions. I just want to make sure that I don't encounter any problems later when I use the command.

honestly I'm only recycling commands from the history of the server. It's the reason why I'm so careful in issuing commands that I do not know the effects of.

my question:

When i type 'logout' in the terminal will the server shutdown or it will only logout from the terminal?

forgive me I'm a total newbie.

If you're talking about an xterm on your graphical desktop, you can't log out because you haven't logged in. You can only exit, and the terminal window will disappear again. Nothing else changes. If by the server you mean the X-server, it doesn't terminate.

If you are using a plain text terminal rather than a graphical interface and you log out, you just get a message inviting you to log in again. Nothing else happens.

If you log out of a graphical session using some logout widget that your desktop provides, you are usually given the choice of just logging out (in which case the X-server resets itself), shutting down or rebooting.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"