Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I am a beginner with experience so far only with Ubuntu. I need to use a software that is available on Linux - Redhat 5.5 or Mac Intel. Since ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dilemma - special software and red hat 5.5

Hello! I am a beginner with experience so far only with Ubuntu. I need to use a software that is available on Linux - Redhat 5.5 or Mac Intel. Since I have a Windows computer, I was thinking to have Redhat as another operation system on my PC. I know that Redhat 5.5 is not supported anymore, but I am rather desperate to use the special software. Shall I forget it or attempt to get Redhat 5.5? Could it work on a newer Redhat version? Is there any other way? Thanks for any ideas!

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

You can test the software on the latest versions of CentOS or Scientific Linux. They are free rebuilds of RHEL minus the branding and usually if an app works on RHEL it works on CentOS and Scientific Linux and vice versa.

Just Joined!
    Cent OS is a clone of RHEL and only difference is you will not get technical support from Red Hat. The latest version is 6.3 and you can download this from Cent OS official website.