Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I am a teacher at a private college. Our school uses an online, paper-free curriculum. Our curriculum makes uses of Google Apps and as such, all our teachers ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Something similar to Chromium OS

Hi everyone,

I am a teacher at a private college. Our school uses an online, paper-free curriculum. Our curriculum makes uses of Google Apps and as such, all our teachers and students have google accounts.

Each teacher has been given a PC with Windows 7 installed on it for their classroom. Many teachers are very unfamiliar with using computers and as such, their computers are becoming extremely full of windows garbage. Unfortunately, we have too few teachers who really know how to use windows without screwing up their machines.

I have always been a big fan of the Chromium Project as really, our teachers only need to use a web browser with their own bookmarks. I have looked at Hexxeh's Flow and Lime distributions, but unfortunately, it doesn't look like it would be easy to put it on all our computers due to each computer having different hardware requirements.

As such, I have been researching about the best way to deploy a Linux distro on all our computers. Ultimately, I want our teachers to be able to log in on any computer in the school with their Google Account, and as such, open the Chromium Web Browser, and see all their bookmarks and have access to their other saved Google apps info.

As such, I have been reading about setting up Chromium in Kiosk mode on Ubuntu. I have configured the machine to auto-login and start up Chromium in kiosk mode. This requires teachers to then log in with their Google account. I can't seem to figure out a way for them to log out and have all their setting erase automatically.

Anyways, I was wondering what the experts (you guys) would suggest. Do you think LTSP (fat client / not thin client) is the best solution? Our machines are pretty capable hardware-wise.

Is there a simple way to make something like Ubuntu more like Chromium OS so that users can log in with their Google Accounts?

Anyways, I'll stop there. Hope someone can offer some advice.

Thanks.
    Last edited by lebleu29; 09-30-2012 at 02:50 AM. Reason: More details.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Great question, and several possible solutions come to mind. Give me a few days to play with a virtual machine installation to see what may work best for your needs. I assume that you want all their history, and any locally stored data to be deleted when they logout? Do you have any preferences for the host operating system (Ubuntu, Fedora, whatever)?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Other questions:

1. Do you want them to be able to download data to a thumb driver, or upload from same?
    2. Do you need any monitoring of sites visited?
    3. Do you want the system to support Google Talk? Video calls?

More questions will come to mind, I'm sure, but that is a start.

Just Joined!

Wow!

Wow, thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Great question, and several possible solutions come to mind. Give me a few days to play with a virtual machine installation to see what may work best for your needs.
    I assume that you want all their history,
    Sure, keeping browsing history would be cool but not necessary.

and any locally stored data to be deleted when they logout?
    Local data should be deleted upon logout.

Do you have any preferences for the host operating system (Ubuntu, Fedora, whatever)?
    No preference really.

Just Joined!
    1. Do you want them to be able to download data to a thumb driver, or upload from same?

Actually, I don't want them to be able to download any data whatsoever. Not needed.

2. Do you need any monitoring of sites visited?

No

3. Do you want the system to support Google Talk? Video calls?

Google Talk would be wonderful. Video calls no.

THANK YOU!

Ok. Parameters are this (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Browsing history. Keep if you can, but not necessary.
    2. Delete local data on logout (good for security).
    3. OS - any Linux host OS is ok.
    4. No download/upload from thumbdrive needed.
    5. No site monitoring.
    6. Google Talk support - ok. Video Talk - not necessary.

Is this pretty much what you want?

Just Joined!
    Ok. Parameters are this (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Browsing history. Keep if you can, but not necessary.
    2. Delete local data on logout (good for security).
    3. OS - any Linux host OS is ok.
    4. No download/upload from thumbdrive needed.
    5. No site monitoring.
    6. Google Talk support - ok. Video Talk - not necessary.

Is this pretty much what you want?
    Yes, exactly.

Thanks again Rubberman.

Just Joined!
    Any progress Rubberman?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lebleu29 View Post
    Any progress Rubberman?

Thanks.
    Sorry, but not. Been up to my eyeballs in work-related stuff - seems some new tech I developed in a skunk-works mode has been seen as critical to our next system software release, so I and another engineer are working our tails off to get stuff ready for production deployment - 4 world-wide data centers w/ 500 servers each. Software to be installed on each system and pushed to a time-series database running on a Hadoop cluster... They want it to go live in 2 weeks. Needless to say, my time is limited at the moment. That said, thanks for the reminder, and I WILL try to get something to you soon...