Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I am just a 3-month year old newbie in Gnu/linux but recently I discovered how powerful the terminal can be. I wanted to install LibreOffice and I downloaded the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Manual or tuto to learn using the terminal?

Hi.

I am just a 3-month year old newbie in Gnu/linux but recently I discovered how powerful the terminal can be.

I wanted to install LibreOffice and I downloaded the .tar.gz file I needed.There where a lot of Deb files and I panicked because I had to install them one by one with Gdebi, wich was an slow-killing install. I was desesperated because I didn't knew how to install them until I found the install instructions in LO webpage, It was something like this: (sorry, it is in spanish. ''Descargas'' means downloads.

sudo dpkg -i ~/Descargas/LibO_3.3.0_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS/*.deb

To install the language and help Guide I just changed the folder names ( install-langpack and helpack)

Do yo know some kind of good manual to learn to use terminal efficiently and learn from the most basic to most advanced commands? I think I'm starting to like it.

Take a look here: LinuxCommand.org: Learn the Linux command line. Write shell scripts.
    It's a pretty handy site for getting to know the terminal.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Which Linux distro are you using? Learning Terminal commands is really helpful but I won't suggest you install packages manually. You should use your distro's Package Manger to install packages otherwise you will face a lot of dependency problems which might frustrate you.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

If you go to the Debian Forums site, you will find a sticky with a beginners' guide that I contributed to. There's good stuff on the command line there and it isn't Debian-specific in any way.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiraishin View Post
    Do yo know some kind of good manual to learn to use terminal efficiently and learn from the most basic to most advanced commands? I think I'm starting to like it.
    Here's another good tutorial for you:

UNIX / Linux Tutorial for Beginners
    oz

Just Joined!
    The command used sudo, so, I'm using a debian-based (Ubuntu based), Lubuntu.

Thank You for the your. I'm going to take a look this afternoon

oz
    forum.guy
    If you've setup your system to use sudo, you'll need to put the sudo command before any command that you want to run. Otherwise, you'll need to leave sudo out of the command structure that is to be run. Here's a short but good tutorial on setting up and using sudo should you need it:

Sudo Howto - Waikato Linux Users Group
    oz

Linux Newbie
    I used / am using a older versions of the O'Reilly books to learn the basis of bash & next csh/tcsh in both command line and scripting capacities. They are not the most current additions so there might be some changes or additions but some of these shells are 30+ years old so i hedged my bet the fundamentals would not change much.
    So if your like me and prefer physical copies of books to read away from the computer then check out a local used book store or amazon. I picked up Bash and csh/tcsh books for about 3 bucks each.