Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by devils casper Thats what I have suggested in first place. If one has installation LiveCD/USB then there is no need of SuperGRUB disk. Executing grub-install command will ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do you reinstall GRUB?

Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Thats what I have suggested in first place. If one has installation LiveCD/USB then there is no need of SuperGRUB disk. Executing grub-install command will re-install GRUB.

Thats why we don't suggest EasyBCD or any other third party too. Linux installers are very much capable of detecting other distros and setup multiboot. Problem arise only of you re-install Windows OS. Best solution is, re-install GRUB using installation CD/USB.
    So, what is the procedure to reinstall GRUB? I am new to Linux and am using Fedora 17. Also, will the procedure for reinstalling GRUB be the same for different distros of Linux?

Most of main stream distros are using GRUB2 as default boot loader and procedure to re-install GRUB2 is same in all those distros.
    GRUB2 is default boot loader of Fedora 17 too. Check post #2 in this thread. Boot up from LiveCD/USB of your distro and execute commands listed in that post.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by twostepsfromhell View Post
    I had ubuntu 12.04 and Win7 installed in my system.
    Yesterday Windows crashed and i had to format and re-install it.
    I have not touched the Linux drive (swap and main are intact)
    But Grub is not shown and system boots into windows
    I need linux back
    The answers above tell you how to get Linux back, and how to reinstall Grub, but the one thing that isn't clearly said ...

Windows does NOT play nicely with other operating systems. Grub, as you know, will allow you to launch Windows or Linux, and probably any other OS you can manage to get installed. But when you reinstall Windows, it is GUARANTEED to replace grub with its own installer, that won't let you boot to Linux.

My solution to this problem has been to use Clonezilla to backup my boot drive. That not only gives me a backup, but it also means I can reinstall the grub boot if I have a problem on the Windows side. YMMV.
    Last edited by Toadbrooks; 10-04-2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    As you have installed windows 7 after Linux, the GRUB bootloader will not have entry for it yet. After you've gone through the steps of installing GRUB, you might need to make an entry for windows 7. Run the command:

Code:
    $ update-grub
    and it will automatically update your GRUB configuration file for windows 7.

Just Joined!
    When you are installing another OS on your machine that time be take care of it will not delete the MBR of first OS...if it deletes and creates a new MBR for new OS then only new OS will boot on that machine....

Just Joined!
    If you have installed Windows first ..then check How many primary partitions are there ...you can install one OS per primary partition...Maximum three to four (depend on OS) primary partitions you can create in one hard disk ....

Just Joined!

All OS's on seperate HD's, but want to connect all HD's & No Problems:

Quote Originally Posted by Toadbrooks View Post
    The answers above tell you how to get Linux back, and how to reinstall Grub, but the one thing that isn't clearly said ...

Windows does NOT play nicely with other operating systems. Grub, as you know, will allow you to launch Windows or Linux, and probably any other OS you can manage to get installed. But when you reinstall Windows, it is GUARANTEED to replace grub with its own installer, that won't let you boot to Linux.

My solution to this problem has been to use Clonezilla to backup my boot drive. That not only gives me a backup, but it also means I can reinstall the grub boot if I have a problem on the Windows side. YMMV.
    My issue is that I have installed Win XP Pro 64bit, Win 7 64bit, Linux Fedora 17 64bit, and Linux Ubuntu 12.04 onto separate Hard Drives using SATA WD VelocityRaptor 250GB drives and Intel 530 SSD 125GB HD's.

What I am looking to accomplish is to connect all the HD's to my PC, yet keep them separate and possibly booting either from pressing a key at startup to choose the boot order, or changing the BIOS to boot to a specific drive for each operating system I have listed above. Later on, I may want to choose to eliminate some of the Operating Systems HD's. What I do not want is some program such as a boot loader program wiping my ability to boot to Linux in the future if I connect all the hard drives into the PC. I have installed each operating system one by one onto separate HD's with only one inserted at a time so far. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7, and my case is a large tower that has hot-swap mounts for the HD's as well as internal mounts I have to use for the SSD drives because of the mounting spacing.

I am understanding GRUB is for having a boot loader and sounds like the kind of trouble I want to avoid.

Bear in mind that I am new at some things, but experienced at others, so if given steps, I can accomplish that providing there is enough documentation telling me what to do.

I will appreciate any help you can provide that will solve my issues I am looking to avoid, yet connect all these different HD's with separate Operating Systems on each of them. I will appreciate any information of how is the best way to do this and if it is possible without having any problems with all the HD's installed into my PC. Thanks

Linux Guru
    If you have all these systems installed on separate drives, then you need to select which drive you want in the BIOS setup. You could update grub on Ubuntu with all drives attached and then you should have a new menu listing the various systems on the various drives which you should be able to boot by setting the Ubuntu drive to first boot priority in the BIOS. The first option is probably the easiest if you are not familiar with bootloaders.

I am understanding GRUB is for having a boot loader and sounds like the kind of trouble I want to avoid
    Without a bootloader, you will not be able to boot either windows or Linux.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboydale54 View Post
    I will appreciate any help you can provide that will solve my issues I am looking to avoid, yet connect all these different HD's with separate Operating Systems on each of them. I will appreciate any information of how is the best way to do this and if it is possible without having any problems with all the HD's installed into my PC. Thanks
    Flyboy, I think you are biting off more than you can chew, but I certainly don't mind seeing if I can point you in a direction.

Whatever the first drive in the system is, will have to have a boot loader. There's no way around this. The first disk is "C" in a windoze box or "sd1" in a Linux box.

If I were trying to do what you are, I'd put one of the Linux installs in the first disk. Then spread the rest out however you want. Then once you have everything, use clonezilla to take a complete disk image of the first disk. Now, if you have windoze in the E drive, or the 3rd one, and you decide you need to reinstall it, you can stick your windows DVD in the drive, reinstall E, then reinstall the boot drive from clonezilla. That should give you as close as possible to what you described.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2