Find the answer to your Linux question:
What are some things i can do with my server at home to maybe speed up my home network. Make the home network more secure. Are there any packages for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Tips on using servers

What are some things i can do with my server at home to maybe speed up my home network. Make the home network more secure. Are there any packages for linux to scan for viruses. Just hunting for tips on server usage in general.
    The computer made me do it!! Slackware and SUSE too Gig\'em WHOOOOP!!
    \"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of tasks, At the rate I\'m going I will never die.\" (I don\'t know)

Linux Engineer
    The only way to speed up your connect is buy a faster link or uncap your modem. Setting up firewall for your home network would be good a good start. Using nat is already a good step in helping to secure computers on the lan. There are a few virus scanners for linux though I don't see a point in using one unless you are running an email server since 99% of them are written for windows.

Linux Guru
    I think there's a HOWTO on ADSL bandwidth management. It won't speed up your connection, but you can make the router (providing you're using a Linux router) prioritize certain connections, such as prioritizing web browsers before kazaa uploads and such.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Make sure that you have a firewall if you dont have a hardware router or use IPtables, make sure to install your linux installation secure and maybe if you have a website chroot apache??. Then make sure tho read about new security exploits and get updated on the webb. Maybe also a bks-utility..??

Regards
    Regards

Andutt