Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, so we have a teacher in a beginning linux class and we have a 10 year old book.. copyright 2003. Not only is there not much information in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Beginner Student with Neglectful Teacher

Hi, so we have a teacher in a beginning linux class and we have a 10 year old book.. copyright 2003. Not only is there not much information in the book. The teacher isn't teaching us about linux very well either. Anyways we have what I would consider a fairly advanced assignment for a introduction to linux class and my entire group can not seem to find a lot of information online let alone the fact that information on this doesn't exist at all in the book. Here is our assignment.....

This group will install and configure, dhcp, dns, ftp, nfs, and an email server of your choice(it comes with either sendmail or postfix but many more are available online). You will be given 4pts per section successfully installed, configured, and presented.

If someone could point us in the right direction and give us some information that would allow us to know where to go and what to do. We have 2 Networking majors its not the networking part but the how can we do this in Linux part. We are only aloud to use the command line, nothing GUI is allowed. Fedora 17 is the install we are to use in class. Thanks

Linux Newbie
    Hi. At first, choose he right packages. I would recommand pureftp for ftp and postfix for email. Then, the man pages and the tutos available on project's websites should be enough. Chinese proverb : if you meet a man starving, don't give him a fish, teach him how to fish.

Hello and Welcome!

Something that might help in your search results, try this in a Google search:
    Code:
    Fedora 17 dhcp
    or
    Code:
    Fedora 17 nfs
    You might try adding configure or how to in order to narrow down your results.

Good luck with your assignments.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Hello and Welcome!

Something that might help in your search results, try this in a Google search:
    Code:
    Fedora 17 dhcp
    or
    Code:
    Fedora 17 nfs
    You might try adding configure or how to in order to narrow down your results.

Good luck with your assignments.
    Thanks, but I have searched for these things although I have found where to get the software and programs. I seem to find little information on how to actually configure these things. You have got to understand I know absolutely nothing about even what most of you probably consider basic commands.

With things like DHCP and NFS, DNS....you're going to need the man pages. Almost every time you install software in Linux, it also installs man pages for you to read so that you know how to set it up. Open your terminal and type a few man pages
    Code:
    man man
    Code:
    man dns
    Code:
    man ftp
    Code:
    man bash
    These will only work if you have the programs installed already. Then use Google this way.
    Configure DHCP fedora command line

Most common commands
    Linux Newbie Guide: Shortcuts And Commands
    Hope this helps.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxStudentICC View Post
    Hi, so we have a teacher in a beginning linux class and we have a 10 year old book.. copyright 2003. Not only is there not much information in the book. The teacher isn't teaching us about linux very well either. ...

This group will install and configure, dhcp, dns, ftp, nfs, and an email server of your choice(it comes with either sendmail or postfix but many more are available online). You will be given 4pts per section successfully installed, configured, and presented.

If someone could point us in the right direction and give us some information that would allow us to know where to go and what to do.
    sounds like he is forcing you to search for the information yourself and learn by doing ... sounds like a good approach to me

man pages, wiki pages for a few distros and a bit of web searching should help you out ... a 10 year old book will help with the basics and has a bit more structure than random web searching ...

Just Joined!
    Hey I have figured a lot of it out but I need help with DNS I'm not sure what all settings I need to put in it and where and how to do it. If I could get some direction with setting up DNS that would really help guys.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxStudentICC View Post
    Hey I have figured a lot of it out but I need help with DNS I'm not sure what all settings I need to put in it and where and how to do it. If I could get some direction with setting up DNS that would really help guys.
    Tell us what packages you've installed, what files you've edited, what commands you've tried, etc., etc.

Also, specify what you mean by DNS. Do you wish to run a DNS server, or do you merely need to be able to resolve DNS queries? Or proxy caching, etc.