Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I'm having some trouble finding out how to control the output being printed to the screen from my scripts. I've tried looking for answers online, but I still get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Why does my script output to the terminal when I want to store it?

Hi!

I'm having some trouble finding out how to control the output being printed to the screen from my scripts. I've tried looking for answers online, but I still get surprises sometimes when I run my scripts.

I'm trying to do continuous integration on the remote server, and the only way I know of returning values to say what builds failed is by printing text to the terminal, so it's pretty important that I have control over what gets printed.

As of now, I'm first running a perl script that passes another script to a server over ssh. This new script uses the system command to set a view (I believe this "set view" command creates a sub shell) and then build some projects.

From what I can tell, when I store the output of this command in an array, nothing gets printed if it builds without error, although text does get printed if I run the command directly from the terminal on the remote server. If it fails, the text seems to print, even if I never run a print command in my script.

My question is, what is the connection between text being printed to the terminal, and storing the results of a command into an array locally, over SSH and when running a sub shell?

Thank you for your time!

Linux Newbie
    Hi.

Did you read about STDIN, STDOUT and STDERR ? This is rather standard and may help to solve your problem, by directing the correct files to the correct devices.