Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi All, I am new to Linux . I just enrolled in a linux essentials class. I have a REDHAT linux 6.2 installation disk the instructor gave me for a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Attempting to install Redhat Linux 6.2 installation over windows XP

Hi All,
    I am new to Linux . I just enrolled in a linux essentials class.

I have a REDHAT linux 6.2 installation disk the instructor gave me for a 32 bit machine. I brought a used Dell with

Windows XP already loaded on it. How would I install that LINUX redhat installation disk on the already existing Windows System.

At first I was thinking of using a dual boot system (having both windows and Linux). Bear in mind when I went to Disk managment to check, the windows is on the c:> and I have 32gig. There is no D:>

Question.

1) DO I have to reformat the windows on the c:> (reformat option) and then install the Redhat CD

or

2) Can I just try to install it with the linux installation disk, and during the install, will Linux automatically remove the Windows OS.

Not sure what to do. But as I'm thinking I don't really need to have the windows on that pc, because i did buy the old Dell to use exclusively as a Linux machine for class and homework.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

hi and welcome

First, I assume you dont mind loosing that windows XP. Is that right?

Second: Did your instructor give you redhat linux 6.2 or redhat enterprise linux 6.2?

The redhat linux 6.2 old, as in: ancient. It was released in march 2000.
    Sure, one can still learn the basics of unix with it,
    but there wont be software repositories readily available anymore and the online documentation and help is limited.
    I would suggest to use a modern linux distribution.

RedHat Enterprise Linux 6.2 is just one minor version away from the newest 6.3.
    It is very well supported and documented.
    But this is a commercial distribution.
    So you would need to pay to get access to the software repositories for additional installs and updates.

There are however redhat enterprise clones, such as CentOS and Scientific Linux.
    Both are free to use.
    My suggestion to you and your instructor would be to use www.centos.org - The Community ENTerprise Operating System

As for the installation:
    You would need to burn a DVD using the available ISOs.
    Choose a mirror close to you and go to the "isos" directory.
    www.centos.org - centos.org content

If your Dell is 64bit capable, download the x86_64 ISO, otherwise i386.
    Once you boot your dell from the DVD, the install procedure will at one point ask you what to do with the harddisk.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

I agree with Irithori. You should go for CentOS instead of RedHat.

For dual boot, you have to create free space for Linux first. What is the total size if your Hard disk? Could you post the complete partition structure of your Hard disk?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks Irithori and Devils Casper for your reposnse:
    Yes I don't need the Windpows XP OS. I brought this used Dell machine from Craigslist. It works becuase I can bring up Windows without a problem.
    As far as the machine specs, Well it is a Pentium 4 CPU is 1.80GHZ and 512 MB of Ram. It has a 32 gig hardrive. It onlyhas a c: drive and of course a cdrom.

The Instructor gave out already a Reddhat Enterprise Linux Server v6.1 Installation disk to the class to load at home. It is a 32 bit and that is what he wants us to use for the class. So I can't at this point use Centos as you suggest, becuase that is not what he wants us to use. .

I just wnat to know If I can just install this over the Windows.

I did try inserting the disk into the cdrom and then rebooted the machine, but nothing happens. I spoke to a friend and he said it seem like its not reading from the cdrom. I have to make that primary. Not sure what he was talking about. Any help would be most appreciated.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxnewbie13 View Post
    I just wnat to know If I can just install this over the Windows.

I did try inserting the disk into the cdrom and then rebooted the machine, but nothing happens. I spoke to a friend and he said it seem like its not reading from the cdrom. I have to make that primary. Not sure what he was talking about. Any help would be most appreciated.
    Hello and welcome!

Yes, the Linux install should overwrite the Windows install if you direct it to do so during Linux installation.

For booting the CD/DVD, either choose the correct hot-keys for your computer to boot from the CD/DVD drive rather than from the hard disk, or go into your system BIOS and set it there to boot from the CD/DVD drive first. Put the disk in the drive, and reboot.

If you aren't sure how to do any of that, check the operating manual for your computer. You can probably download one from the computer maker's website if your machine didn't come with one.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks for th input Oz. So linux will overwite the windows, ok. I will check into how to boot from the CDROM also. I'll let you know if I was successfull. Thanks again.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for th input Oz. So linux will overwite the windows, ok. I will check into how to boot from the CDROM also. I'll let you know if I was successfull. Thanks again.
    Sorry for the long delay. I had a issue with the CDROM. Remember I brought the desktop from Craigslist. It was a computer store that is selling old DElls. Anyway to make a long story short, The CDROM drive was bad. The guy I brought it from wasn't in the store until today. Anyway He replace the CDROM for me. I am home now and the computer can read the CDROM disk.

I am installing Linux but I am at the stage where it says:
    Use entire disk
    Replace existing Linux system
    Use free space

which drives do you want to use for this installation?[*] sda 38147 MB (ATA WDC WD400BB-75Fj)

Remeber I said I didn't need the windows, so should I pick " Use entire drive" . It says replace existing linux system, but there is no previous linux system, only Windows?

'Use entire disk' option is easiest way to install Linux but you won't have any control on partition layout and installer will use default settings. Which OS are you planning to install?
    In any case, if you are in hurry, select 'Use Entire disk' option. Otherwise, create partition structure manually through LiveCD/USB of PartedMagic or any other Linux distro.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    'Use entire disk' option is easiest way to install Linux but you won't have any control on partition layout and installer will use default settings. Which OS are you planning to install?
    In any case, if you are in hurry, select 'Use Entire disk' option. Otherwise, create partition structure manually through LiveCD/USB of PartedMagic or any other Linux distro.
    I did use entire disk. Your right, it installed quickly without me having to change to partitions myself. How come "CUSTOM INSTALL" wasn't listed?

When I did reboot after the install I got the root prompt. I typed in the password and i was in the root directory. I wanted to see the desktop. I remeber in class the teacher told uis to go to /etc/inittab and al the way at the bottom change the id: from 3 to 5 for X11. I did that and then rebootted the machine, it just froze. It didn't do anything. It seems like I have to do a nother install. You asked what Linux I'm using. It is Redhat Enterprise Linux 6.1. Tha is what the instructor wants us to use.

Just Joined!
    I did use entire disk. Your right, it installed quickly without me having to change to partitions myself. How come "CUSTOM INSTALL" wasn't listed?

When I did reboot after the install I got the root prompt. I typed in the password and i was in the root directory. I wanted to see the desktop. I remeber in class the teacher told uis to go to /etc/inittab and al the way at the bottom change the id: from 3 to 5 for X11. I did that and then rebootted the machine, it just froze. It didn't do anything. It seems like I have to do a nother install. You asked what Linux I'm using. It is Redhat Enterprise Linux 6.1. Tha is what the instructor wants us to use.
    Hello , does anyone know why I didn't didn't get "CUSTOM INSTALL" as one of the choices when I started the install, It just gave me 3 options above. After using entire disk which is what was the only valid answer it quickly finished the install, but after rebooting I get no desktop. Anyone know why.?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast