Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Since SSL automatically uses MD5 digesting to make sure that the packets reach their destination unmodified, you shouldn't even have to use MD5 summing afterwards to make sure that they're ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Since SSL automatically uses MD5 digesting to make sure that the packets reach their destination unmodified, you shouldn't even have to use MD5 summing afterwards to make sure that they're intact.

Linux Engineer
    The point I was trying to make to andutt is that tcp does error checking on its own when re-assembling the packets. So not using ssh to send data is just as safe(as is in data integrity and not privacy). Also I didn't know ssl checked the packets, I thought it relied on tcp to do that. Learn something new everyday

Linux Guru
    It does so for security purposes. It creates an MD5 digest of the packet, and then signs it along with a packet sequence number. That way the receiving host can be sure that no malicious router is altering, deleting or playing back packets along the way. Plus, it assures data integrity! Pretty neat, isn't it?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I totaly agree that scp and ssh are safe!! Thats was not the point, i think its just sloppy and i woldnt let such a program into my productions environment that just scp * from a directory and think its good and works on restore, if you have an important system maybe even misson critical system its good to write a litte or big prorgam with errorhandling so you are 200% safe that that all files are included, are correct and work on a restore... if you should do something, do it good and correct the first time..
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    I certainly don't need that big of a backup andutt. LOL... It's a little home server sitting in a corner with a network cable and a power cable plugged in. Umm, it's got about 5 users and 20-40 visitors a day. Not a big deal.

Linux Engineer
    Andutt, I don't see why anyone would do scp *. I would tar the directories that need to be backed up and then scp them to another box. Openssl and tcp already provide enough error checking for transferring data and tar can verify the tarball before you send it out. I think adding anymore then that, you would just be wasting time, especially for this type of setup. I have used setups like this on small(20 server) production enviroments which sent backups to the nas without any data integrity problems. Now on a larger setup, this wouldn't be as scalabe as say veritas netbackup.

Linux Engineer
    OK...you have your point of view and i have mine....
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    Dolda: Meriam-Webster says that the plural form of "status" is "statuses".

Linux Guru
    Really? Thanks!

Just Joined!

This is an old thread, but this link might interest others..

I recently setup an old computer to be used for NAS (Network Attached Storage) and copying files to it via cron, or drag-and-drop in a web browser has worked very well.

http://web.ripnet.com/~rdeschen/NASL...up server.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2