Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all, sorry for dumb newbie question - my (Debian) root user can see all directories. I have created another user who can see some directories but then is is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

user permissions

hi all,

sorry for dumb newbie question - my (Debian) root user can see all directories. I have created another user who can see some directories but then is is blocked from other directories by permission denied - how can I define which directories the user can see or just grant root / all permissions?

Thank you

First, root is not user, it is administrator. Second, users do not have much business outside of their ~/.
    If your user needs to access directories it cannot then you are not using your system properly.
    You better describe your problem in more detail.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    First, root is not user, it is administrator. Second, users do not have much business outside of their ~/.
    If your user needs to access directories it cannot then you are not using your system properly.
    You better describe your problem in more detail.
    @ Segfault, thanks for your help.

The path for my website files is
    /var/www/vhosts/example.com/httpdocs

With my user account I can get as far as httpdocs but I can't open httpdocs (permission denied). So as user I can't do anything with my website files either in SSH or FTP.

I can use SSH as root but I think this is bad practice. I can't use root in FTP because I think it is not allowed for security reasons.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    What group owns that directory? You may want to make a new group that has read and write access, then add your user to that group.

Linux Guru
    If you are using Apache for the web server, the owner:group for the /var/www directory is usually apache:apache. Some distributions use www-run. You didn't indicate which version of Linux you are using. You would then put your users in the apache group if that's what you use.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for replies. I am using Debian 5 and Apache. I know how to add a user to a group but are there commands to say:
    list the current groups
    list users belonging to group x
    show the owner of directory y

Thank you

Linux Guru
    You can use the less or more commands to get all groups: less /etc/group, more /etc/group or you can navigate to that file (/etc/group) to view them.
    Listing users with: groups apache (for example), show the owner of a directory: ls -l . To find the owner:group of directories in your /home/user just do: ls -l /home/user.

Just Joined!
    Create a new group and give them, give that group access in sudoer file,
    by that you can set what that group can access and what not.