Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to log onto a remote server in my school from home. I have done it via putty from other computers within the sch. Problem is I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unable to remote log in to linux via Putty

I am trying to log onto a remote server in my school from home. I have done it via putty from other computers within the sch.

Problem is I am unable to log in from home. After keying in the ip address, selecting port 22 and ssh, I don't even get a chance to type anything. Just a blank black screen for like 10secs followed by a error message - Network error. Connection timed out.

Any idea why. The server is running so am assuming some kinda setting issue coming from my side.

I'm very new to linux. Bear with me pls. Thanks for assistance.

Hi and welcome.

My guess is, that this remote server is not public available.
    Either it has a private IP addres, which is not routeable via internet
    or it is firewalled.
    Can you post the IP here, it is easy to judge, which case it is.

Other than that, your school might have documentation how a connection is meant to be.
    Maybe via a VPN?
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Hi the ip is as follows:

But I don't think it is restricted. I checked with the lecturer and he said it can be assessed from home. I did try typing random IPs too. All same results. saying Network error.

I don't get the chance to even type a user name to start with. Should I maybe unlock some firewall features or something?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by keshk View Post
    Hi the ip is as follows:

But I don't think it is restricted. I checked with the lecturer and he said it can be assessed from home. I did try typing random IPs too. All same results. saying Network error.

I don't get the chance to even type a user name to start with. Should I maybe unlock some firewall features or something?
    I can't ping it and running a traceroute to it is a no go either

Chances are that you need a VPN connection before you can connect to it as pointed out by Irithori. I would be very surprised if schools exposed a server to the wide world.

Just Joined!
    Ya I found a random IP to just test and at least now I get a login prompt. Unable to get the prompt on the Sch's IP though.

But we are supposed to have access to this server from home too. Did check that with lecturer. Guess got to check again what's wrong.

I don't see any other online 'free' server to log in and learn commands other than sch's one. (And tbh, no idea what is a VPN connection)

Thanks for help.