Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody, I'm new in this community, so I need your advices. Here come my issues: I've always used windows, but it comes to me that not always I get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Distro and Windows Applications

Hi everybody,

I'm new in this community, so I need your advices. Here come my issues:

I've always used windows, but it comes to me that not always I get satisfactions with this OS, saying security, stability, and other reasons... Well I'm decided to make a step apart and move to Linux. Actually, I've used in some occasion Knoppix 5 and 6 to solve punctual issues, even in some moments I've mandrake and ubuntu installed, however, I can't deny the fact that my use was really casual, so my knowledge isn't so good as I'd like it to be.

Well, now that I'm decided, I don't know what to do, I've spent the last 6-8 hours reading the whole documentary related to the newcomers, and didn't find lights on the dark points I have, so I hope your advices.

As mentioned, until now I was on an XP Pro Sp3 (32bits), however my machine supports 64bits, the reason of this is that I have a bunch of applications used to and suited to my taste, that runs on 32 bits systems, these applications are varied and went from multimedia players, encoders, P2P, HDD and partitions managers to renamers tools or book editors, this added to educational purposes applications for programming, mathematics,... Also I've anti-virus, firewall, antispyware,... and lot of other stuff.

Well, as you see, the problem is that there is some applications that doesn't have an equivalent in Linux or at least aren't as exact as in Windows, I know there something called WinE to create an interface looking like that of Windows, but is it the same ???

So, my doubts are: knowing all the above, first, which distro suits me ? (I'm thinking in Ubuntu, but advices are welcomed), second does the WinE, allow the installation of *.exe files as in windows ? (so that I can install my customizable applications, I mean the ones that I prefer to use, instead of the ones suitable for Linux), and their functionality is the same ??, third, those applications run under 32 bits systems, in case WinE allow installation, which version of Linux (Ubuntu??), may I get, the one of 64 bits or necessarily it have to be 32 bits ??

Well, I apologize for the encyclopedia , but it was necessary to explain all the aspects of my issue, I hope you can show me the right way.

Thank you in advance...

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

Wine will run some Windows apps and others it won't. You can check the Wine apps database to see what kind of luck others have had with various apps:

WineHQ - Wine Application Database

Otherwise, you'll have to simply try them yourself to test your own luck. If you really want to run Windows apps, I'd recommend running them under Windows, using visualization software if necessary.

If you have more than 4 GB of RAM, I'd recommend running 64-bit Linux. Otherwise, you should be fine with 32-bit. Which distro is a matter of personal preference and you'll need to try some distros before you'll know what you like and don't like. Any of the top 5 or so at DistroWatch.com are usually pretty good for starting out. Ubuntu and Mint are often the first choice for new users.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks oz for the quick reply,

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    I'd recommend running them under Windows, using visualization software if necessary.
    What is this ??

If you have more than 4 GB of RAM, I'd recommend running 64-bit Linux. Otherwise, you should be fine with 32-bit.
    I've just 4GB; Really, I prefer to use a 64bits version, as it suits my machine, however all the Windows applications are 32bits versions, this may cause any conflict ??

Which distro is a matter of personal preference and you'll need to try some distros before you'll know what you like and don't like. Any of the top 5 or so at DistroWatch.com are usually pretty good for starting out. Ubuntu and Mint are often the first choice for new users.
    I was thinking of something powerful, easy and versatile, so hope Ubuntu fits.

Thank you again...

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by ykeyke View Post
    What is this ??

I've just 4GB; Really, I prefer to use a 64bits version, as it suits my machine, however all the Windows applications are 32bits versions, this may cause any conflict ??
    You can use virtualization software to run Windows on a Linux system, or Linux on a Windows system:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...ation_software

VirtualBox would be one example.

64-bit linux systems can run 32-bit linux software but you will have to have some 32-bit libraries installed. I'm not sure how well 32-bit windows software works under Wine on Linux.
    oz

Just Joined!
    OK, I'll take a look to all, do some experiences, and let you know... However, if you have any other idea, feel free to let me know, I'll be grateful.

Greetings

Just Joined!
    The best option to solve this problem in my view, is to run windows inside linux, using the VW ware player:

Code:
    https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/5_0