Find the answer to your Linux question:
I would just like to say thank you first of all for viewing this. I am quite confused about installing linux. Never have used it before, I am curious and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Complete Newcomer. "Error 15: File Not Found"

I would just like to say thank you first of all for viewing this. I am quite confused about installing linux. Never have used it before, I am curious and would like to install it. I have spent hours attempting to find a linux that works for me. The result is an error 15 file not found, it's the same problem with every linux I go to install and make a Live Usb for. I do not have a clue where to even google the specific search.

I know I have to have 15 posts to post links, but its a lot better for me to show pictures of what I am talking about.

First, let me start off with my system specs of my self-built desktop computer.

windows 7 64bit
    ASUS P9X79 PRO Intel X79 Pro Motherboard
    i-7 3930k 3.2GHz
    Nvidia geforce gtx 550 ti 1gb

Ok, I followed the directions of making a live usb (Fedora-17-x86_64-Live-Desktop)

I used the Fedora Live Usb Creator, unetbootin, and also Linux Live Usb Creator with the same error 15: file not found.

Once the live usb has been created, I restart my computer.
    This pops up

[IMG]http" i.imgur.comkdylI.jpg[IMG]

I press any key and then it gets to this grub screen, which I have no clue to even do here.

[IMG]http"//i.imgur.com/FKOvh.jpg[/IMG]

The top line highlighted, I press E button to edit the command line and I see these (which again, I do not know anything about)
    [IMG]http"//i.imgur.com/YPgkK.jpg[/IMG]

The command line what it fully looks like for the middle one expanded is...
    [IMG]http" //i.imgur.com/7UsOi.jpg[/IMG]

I would just like to see what this wonderful world of Linux can bring me, as I have been a Win user my whole life. I know the live usb works, because I used it just fine on a laptop. I also get the same results loading it with cd iso and dvd iso. Finally, tried the 32bit linux versions as well (same result). If there is any other information I can give you, I will be more than happy to do so. Also pointing me in the right direction in order to refine my search is also appreciated as well.

Thank You.

Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    To be honest, I am totally lost.
    This method seems to work for this person. (http"forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1596464&postcount=7)
    So, if I burn the DVD version to a DVD-R, how would I edit the bootx64.conf, do I change to exactly what this person has? is that the Grub menu? I renamed my label on my usb stick to "LIVE" as well.

Linux Guru
    I've used unetbootin successfully a number of times but am not familiar with the other options you tried. If you are using windows, have you downloaded the windows version of unetbootin to your windows system? Did you download the Fedora iso to your windows system? or did you start unetbootin and then use it to download Fedora? Whichever method you used, if the creation of a bootable Fedora usb is completed, you would need to then have the flash drive inserted and then boot with the usb set to first boot priority in the BIOS. I'm curious as to how you are getting a Grub error since unetbootin and the other methods do not use it, they use isolinux or syslinux as a bootloader.

More details on exactly the steps you took using unetbootin might help.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    I've used unetbootin successfully a number of times but am not familiar with the other options you tried. If you are using windows, have you downloaded the windows version of unetbootin to your windows system? Did you download the Fedora iso to your windows system? or did you start unetbootin and then use it to download Fedora? Whichever method you used, if the creation of a bootable Fedora usb is completed, you would need to then have the flash drive inserted and then boot with the usb set to first boot priority in the BIOS. I'm curious as to how you are getting a Grub error since unetbootin and the other methods do not use it, they use isolinux or syslinux as a bootloader.

More details on exactly the steps you took using unetbootin might help.
    I provided some links to where I am stuck at on my desktop computer. I know it works, because the laptop that I used loads the live usb just fine. I downloaded the 64bit version, and used unetbootin, fedora live usb, and linux live usb to load it. ( all with the same exact error).

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    when you see press enter (or just wait a couple of seconds)
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    when you see [img]http"//i.imgur.com/FKOvh.jpg[/img] press enter (or just wait a couple of seconds)
    whenever I do that, says error 15: file not found.