Find the answer to your Linux question:
I downloaded a firefox linux package uncompress it and put it under my home dir when I 'cd' into firefox and run the following command with my user account "esolve" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

strange problem with sudo -u

I downloaded a firefox linux package
    uncompress it and put it under my home dir
    when I 'cd' into firefox and run the following command with my user account "esolve"
    Code:
    ./firefox
    it works fine
    but when I switch to root account, and run
    Code:
    sudo -u esolve ./firefox
    I see the errors below, and firefox can't be opened, THEN I tried to modify the package owner: chown -R esolve:esolve firefox, the error persists and firefox still can't be opened
    Code:
    Error: Access was denied while trying to open files in your profile directory
    if I just run it as root account, there will be errors but firefox can still be opened

I tried the same version of firefox package in another linux machine before and when I'm with root account
    "sudo -u esolve ./firefox " works fine
    what is wrong with this? it is strange
    BTW, the user account esolve was created by useradd
    maybe this is a problem? coz when I open the terminal, the default shell is /bin/sh
    I have to mannually change SHELL=/bin/bash, and even if I put a .bashrc with such a line under homedir,
    the .bashrc.doesn't seem to work

coz I need to use "sudo -u esolve ./firefox " in a script, otherwiser I will just switch to esolve and run ./firefox
    so I hope to deal with this error
    Last edited by esolve; 11-14-2012 at 11:33 AM.

sudo -u mean 'run as another user', take a look at the sudo man page.

The syntax should be
    Code:
    sudo -u <username> <application>
    which is what you have in the other examples you've provided. If you don't want to provide a username, then drop the '-u' argument altogether.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    sorry, my original post ignored the username, now I have modified it, I used sudo -u <username> <application>

Linux Newbie
    If you're already "root" you don't need to use "sudo" to execute a program as another user. You can just use "su esolve -c firefox".

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by esolve View Post
    BTW, the user account esolve was created by useradd
    maybe this is a problem? coz when I open the terminal, the default shell is /bin/sh
    I have to mannually change SHELL=/bin/bash, and even if I put a .bashrc with such a line under homedir,
    the .bashrc.doesn't seem to work

coz I need to use "sudo -u esolve ./firefox " in a script, otherwiser I will just switch to esolve and run ./firefox
    so I hope to deal with this error
    What distro are you running? Default for Linux distros is typically /bin/bash
    To change this, you can edit /etc/passwd file using the command 'vipasswd' (as root).

Then, just replace /bin/sh with /bin/bash on the appropriate line. This requires knowledge of vi/vim (depending on distro) which can be a little tricky to use if you've never used it before.

To change default shell for user add, edit /etc/default/useradd (That's what it is in RHEL-based distros, not sure offhand what it might be in debian or others).

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by cnamejj View Post
    If you're already "root" you don't need to use "sudo" to execute a program as another user. You can just use "su esolve -c firefox".
    cnamejj is right. I would only add a little option to make sure esolve is loaded with his own profile:
    Code:
    su - esolve -c firefox