Find the answer to your Linux question:
I do not know how to paste from a text file (opened in Notepad) on my computer desktop to a new file in a directory I am accessing remotely via ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Pasting into vi

I do not know how to paste from a text file (opened in Notepad) on my computer desktop to a new file in a directory I am accessing remotely via the Terminal.

The computer I am accessing remotely does not seem to have emacs, only vi, and while I know that V-Y-P can copy and paste text *within* vi, I do not know how to paste into vi text that was copied from Notepad.

Thank you for any advice; I am not familiar with how to access parts of files between the physical computer I am using and one I am secured shelled into accessing remotely, so if the only solution requires syntax related to movement between the two computer, it would help me greatly if the command included the specific syntax, if possible!!

Linux Newbie
    Hi. You can not paste directly in VI running in a terminal something you have copied on your PC, because is does not reside on the same machine. You must type "i" in your terminal to set VI in input mode, and then paste your text in your terminal. The sequence of keys will be sent to VI, and input as a text.