Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Yeah, We have a situation where bcoz of large log file of about 420GB we ran out of space and unfortunately the the server is not re-booting. Now we ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Couldn't able to access the Mounted disk

Hi Yeah,

We have a situation where bcoz of large log file of about 420GB we ran out of space and unfortunately the the server is not re-booting.

Now we took the disk and mounted onto other server. We couldn't able to access the mounted disk.

Can anyone please give some suggestions what might go wrong in this situation?

Trusted Penguin
    Hello and welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by webdev1986 View Post
    We have a situation where bcoz of large log file of about 420GB we ran out of space and unfortunately the the server is not re-booting.
    Once everything is back up, be sure to configure logrotate or something similar to handle your log file.

Now we took the disk and mounted onto other server. We couldn't able to access the mounted disk.
    What is the distro and version of the system in which this disk normally resides?

What is the distro/version of the system you are using to try and mount the disk?

Can anyone please give some suggestions what might go wrong in this situation?
    Hopefully, you just need to specify the filesystem of the partition you are trying to mount. For example, you might need to do (as root):
    Code:
    mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/disk/
    or
    Code:
    mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/disk/
    if you don't know the partition name (e.g., sdb1), this command (run as root) will list the partition tables of all detected disk drives:
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    (that is a lower case L, not the number one).

Just Joined!
    atreyu - Thanks for the reply.

we found that this is caused by the error.log in var folder. figured out the permissions issue.

Can you please tell me why this file is so big recording every failed event or even I see every event is logged in it. Please give suggestions how to maintain this?

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by webdev1986 View Post
    we found that this is caused by the error.log in var folder. figured out the permissions issue.
    What do permissions have to do with it? Can you provide more details (as this will help us diagnose your problem better)?

Can you please tell me why this file is so big recording every failed event or even I see every event is logged in it. Please give suggestions how to maintain this?
    Please provide:
    1. Your Linux distro and version
    2. The full path and filename of the log in question, e.g.:
      /var/log/error.log or /var/log/httpd/error_log