Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I am a bit of a linux newbie but i know enough to do a few things. But I think I need a little help. I want to set ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up a .local email server

Hello!

I am a bit of a linux newbie but i know enough to do a few things. But I think I need a little help.

I want to set up an email server on a local computer and have it accessible by computers on a local network as a part of an AR game. What would I need to do to make this possible?

I should be able to find tutorials but I really don't know what I need to use.

thanks!

Trusted Penguin
    Hello and welcome!

You need what is known as an MTA, or Mail Transfer Agent. Two popular solutions are sendmail and postfix. Sendmail is a little scary in terms of configuration while postfix is somewhat less feature-rich. For your purposes, postfix will probably suffice. Google for "postfix+<your_distro>" and you should get some useful hits.

Post back here to let us know how you get on, or if you have troubles.

Just Joined!

Thumbs up Zimbra

Quote Originally Posted by herrozerro View Post
    Hello!

I am a bit of a linux newbie but i know enough to do a few things. But I think I need a little help.

I want to set up an email server on a local computer and have it accessible by computers on a local network as a part of an AR game. What would I need to do to make this possible?

I should be able to find tutorials but I really don't know what I need to use.

thanks!

hi,
    i have tried zimbra open source mail server on ubuntu 10.04. its quite simple to install and use and also better. if your requirement is just a mail server wherein you would like to create accounts and let people exchange mails, you can give zimbra a try. just download and install. you will get some good tutorials in google.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by tester123 View Post
    hi,
    i have tried zimbra open source mail server on ubuntu 10.04. its quite simple to install and use and also better. if your requirement is just a mail server wherein you would like to create accounts and let people exchange mails, you can give zimbra a try. just download and install. you will get some good tutorials in google.
    Hello and welcome, tester123!

Thanks for the heads upon on Zimbra.

To the OP: it is based on Postfix, and throws in ClamAV virus-scanning, Spamassassin and some other stuff. Read more on its features here.

Just Joined!
    Besides Zimbra (bit heavy if you ask me) you could opt for Zarafa.
    If you use Ubuntu, have a look at Zentyal Server. It comes with a fully integrated Zarafa sollution. Or, if you don't want to use Zarafa, you can choose for Roundcube webmail wich is also available in Zentyal Server.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Post back here to let us know how you get on, or if you have troubles.
    Alright I am running MintLinux 14 and have just installed postfix. I am not exactly sure what to do for what I want.

What I would like to do (weather just locally or networked) is to have a multi-domain environment where players could email characters or at least access character's "Email".

Is this possible on one computer or would I need to setup a server for each "domain" that I want to have?

I don't know if I am explaining this well.

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    I think it is quite well explained in the Postfix manual:
    Postfix Multiple Domains: Using Multiple Domains on Postfix | PostfixMail.com

I suggest you start reading,....