Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone! I want to transfer to Linux for a long time, currently I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate. I use my computer for browsing, gaming, managing office documents, audio/video editing, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Make a change? Windows > Linux?

Hi everyone!

I want to transfer to Linux for a long time, currently I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate. I use my computer for browsing, gaming, managing office documents, audio/video editing, and programming (python, vb.net, C). I'm attending college for computer technologies, and I intend to become a programmer.

I heard that Linux has some issues with desktop, that it freezes etc. Personally I prefer performance over graphics/shiny stuff, and when I setup something that it works, not like in Windows, one day it's working the other it isn't. Security is VERY important for me. I'm interested if I can run games like World of Warcraft / League of Legends / Minecraft etc (I heard that WINE program is good for running "Windows applications"). or will I encounter numerous of problems trying to run those games. I tried Ubuntu, a year ago, and it felt really nice, mosty because of the fresh change. Honestly, I find Linux very attractive in terms of security.

Some people on my country's forum suggested that I should just stick to Win7, because "I'll have peace". But I wanted to ask an expert here for second opinion.

Hi and welcome

Tbh: Wifi, sound and hibernation issues are not unknown to a linux desktop or laptop.
    It mostly depends on the hardware.
    If you happen to have well supported hw, then it works.
    If not then not (or only after some effort).
    HW vendors seldom support linux, so a "driver" aka kernel module for a given piece of hw has to be developed by the community via specs or reverse engineering.
    Which also means: The more exotic your hw is, the less people will have it and care to support it.

On the other hand: Android and a myriad of consumer gadgets show, that linux is ready for the enduser/client.
    These have the advantage, that the hw platform is quite limited (and vendor controlled) compared to the unlimited hw combinations of todays desktops.

Also valve seems to be serious now about bringing gaming (aka: steam) to linux
    because of the windows 8 appstore, which has the possibility of killing steam.
    Letīs see where this goes.

Wine provides a win32 api on the linux platform.
    So you can run *some* windows programs, with varying results.
    Details are here WineHQ - Wine Application Database

About coding/programming:
    Any linux offers multiple languages and tools.
    Pretty much anything outside the ms world (vs, .net, etc) runs native, along with the associated toolchains.

Maybe my setup is useful to you:
    I run native w8 on my corporate laptops/desktops.
    First because it is policy,
    but also to not have to worry about wifi/sound/hibernation.

Then there are multiple VMs, my "main" workstation is a seamless debian VM.
    My hypervisor of choice is Virtualbox, but others work just as well.

This way, you have the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by Irithori; 11-27-2012 at 08:54 AM.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

I find it odd that a lot of people you've talked to about running Linux don't run it themselves - it's a bit like asking a Toyota dealer which is the best BMW to buy...

Lets be honest here - if you want to play games, then Linux probably isn't your platform of choice. I run both Windwos XP and Fedora at home on my big PC. Windwos is there only for playing games. Personally, I find it too flaky and insecure to do anything else, but you need to remember that's my opinion based on my experience. Others will see things differently. The good news is that you don't have to ditch Win7 completely to make the switch - most people on here dual-boot with another OS for games purposes.

Of all the other things you want to do, you'll find your interests are well supported. I write server software for a living, virtually all for Windwos in it's various flavours. But I also develop software to meet my own needs, too. And that is done exclusively on Linux. Not because I have some platform battle I need to fight - I do it because when I write software for me I want to be certain that it's done on the most suitable platform for my needs.

I've never experienced any real big problems with running Linux, maybe a few years ago (7-8+ years) I had difficulties with getting graphics and wireless network drivers. I don't buy much of the 'latest' kit any more, though, so perhaps that has something to do with it. I've definitely not experienced any desktop freezes - I've seen far less desktop failures of any kind on Linux than I have BSOD's on that commercial operating system.

Your friends are telling you to stick with Win7 because you'll "have peace" - you should also bear in mind that if you switch to Linux you can "have peace of mind".

One last question from me - if you have a copy of 'Windwos 7 Ultimate', how come they did a Windwos 8?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    All good opinions here but ultimately the only real way to find out if Linux is good for you is to try a few out. It's true that for the moment Gaming on Linux is nowhere near the level of Windows. But Steam is coming; initially for Ubuntu only though.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Thank you for your responds, well since I really look forward to programming course on my college, I find it more beneficial to switch to Linux, for the sake of better understanding how computer works, because I'll be able to explore more, experience more. I really have just like 2-3 games which I play as a relief and they're well supported on wine and work flawlessly. I think Linux will help me understand systems better.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narralol View Post
    Thank you for your responds, well since I really look forward to programming course on my college, I find it more beneficial to switch to Linux, for the sake of better understanding how computer works, because I'll be able to explore more, experience more. I really have just like 2-3 games which I play as a relief and they're well supported on wine and work flawlessly. I think Linux will help me understand systems better.
    That is the correct attitude. Linux compilers and language support is much more standards compliant than MS tools are, and they are FREE! Since the entire system is open source, then you can easily explore how the systems are implemented, and experiment with changes you make. Good luck and feel free to come back here for advice!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Being a somewhat newbie to linux (in the full time use capacity), take a look at "playonlinux"... It seems a little more concise for gaming than searching wine for what will work and at what level... For audio editing and you seem to be searching for an OS to "edit" with, in terms of audio/video editing, I would check out Ubuntu Studio. Whatever flavor you pick, definitely download "LMMS". I don't think it's included in many releases and wasn't even in the latest 12.x Ubuntu Studio release but is definitely worth while!

Just Joined!
    Advice:

1. Unix based OS is generally advisable in any .edu setting. There are plenty of reasons for this you can search online
    2. Switching to Linux is not like switching to MacOS. You have to do so with the full realization that you don't know how to use Linux and probably won't for a good six months to a year.
    3. Even though I am an avid gamer myself, I would advise anyone learning Linux to try to give up gaming for at least a year so they are not tempted to use Windows.
    4. If you must use windows the best solution is two seperate computers with Linux on the lighter box. This will give you a chance to learn some rudimentary networking. Also on the box with Windows you can dualboot another Linux distro.
    5. It is absolutely the case that learning Linux with improve your programming skills. And if I were you I would include learning Emacs in your linux adventures. Getting used to mouse-less programming in the end will make you a much more effecient and typing-centric programmer.
    6. My advice is to use a debian based distro because of the greater community support. Right now I am using Linux Mint 14 with Ati proprietary drivers I installed using the GUI Software Manager.