Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have access to a Ubuntu installed Linux server. I need to install Drupal into it. I read around n realised prior to that I need to install LAMP consisting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Drupal on my Linux Ubuntu

I have access to a Ubuntu installed Linux server. I need to install Drupal into it. I read around n realised prior to that I need to install LAMP consisting of apache, mySQL n admin plus php.

Also saw many videos and reading and almost all talk about clicking icons and seem to have a display like windows with icons and such.

I am VEry new to Linux and only used it as a command prompt. It has always been black background with me creating directories, trying out simple codes and stuff.

Now feeling very lost how I go about from here. Is there any exact guide which involves doing the entire process of lamp + drupal installation via the command prompt?

I connect to this linux machine remotely so should I like get all the files of drupal and lamp on my windows computer first?

Any guidance is deeply appreciated. Very confused and unable to proceed to even make an attempt. Thank you.

Linux Engineer
    Here's a basic howto to setup Ubuntu 12.04 as a web server:

Ubuntu 12.04 Web Server

It should also work for 12.10.
    It doesn't cover Drupal, but Wordpress. Anyway, the steps for installing Drupal will be about the same as wordpress. Just use Drupal's documentation for their specifics.
    Let me know if you have any questions.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I followed your link and did till Step 2 Configuring Apache2 midway I stopped halfway in it. I don't understand what the following means. I did create a virtual host's config file. But when he says " We need to create the directory we referenced, I don't understand what is the directory I referenced. I believe he is asking me to mkdir. But where and name it as what? How to assign it permissions? I quoted his paragraph which is in the mids of Step2 Configuring Apache2. Likely sounding all silly but am really not sure. Thanks for guidance.

Now that you have created your virtual hostís config file, we need to create the directory we referenced, and assign it the appropriate permissions.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Code:
    <VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin webmaster@mysite.com
    DocumentRoot /var/www/mysite.com
    ServerName www.mysite.com
    ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log
    </VirtualHost>
    You have to make the DocumentRoot directory.