Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All: I've been using SuSE for about four or five months, and coming from a Windows background it was definitely a different experience. My first project was configuring rsync ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Making Use of My Hardware

Hello All:

I've been using SuSE for about four or five months, and coming from a Windows background it was definitely a different experience. My first project was configuring rsync through ssh on my network. Now backups of my data are a piece of cake.

I found a pretty cool article for beginners about taking a project-oriented approach to Linux:

7 cool Linux projects | TuxRadar Linux

I'm working on Zoph right now.

The reason for my post today is that I have (what I hope to be) a somewhat powerful desktop and want to find a project that will put its hardware to good use. A coworker of mine suggested stuffing my tower with drives and providing my friends with an online backup service but that doesn't seem to be a very CPU or RAM-intensive task. I could host databases perhaps?

This will obviously be a long-term learning experience. I'm sure it will test my patience quite often. But I have found from experience that the best way to learn is to hit the books hard and try small projects and see them through to completion. If anyone has any suggestions for a project I could work on that would actually put 16 GB of RAM and an 8-core CPU to use, I'd be happy to listen.

Thanks in advance for your time.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AMD 990FX AM3+
    AMD FX-8150 X8 3600MHZ 16MB 125W AM3+
    Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB PC12800 DDR3
    ULTRA X4 750W POWER SUPPLY MODULAR

Linux Engineer
    Why not install CentOS 6 and build a whole virtual enterprise using KVM?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    Why not install CentOS 6 and build a whole virtual enterprise using KVM?
    Not a bad idea. I suppose I could keep my current SuSE OS and give this a go? VMware's ESXi was a pretty cool project. The only downfall I found was the fact that you had to remotely log into the server to manage the virtual machines instead of simply running the management console on the same server.

Linux Engineer
    Yeah, if Suse has KVM, you could do it on there too.
    I agree that it's a PITA to use vmware due to needing to do everything remotely.