Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi guys, i was reading about nmap and how good and useful it was so i wanted to install it took a chance on previous experience went to a terminal ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

where are installs coming from? how do i change the source?

hi guys,

i was reading about nmap and how good and useful it was
    so i wanted to install it
    took a chance on previous experience
    went to a terminal
    and typed:
    yum install nmap
    i was surprised to see it do a bunch of things and then it installed.

but where am i connecting to to install this? i dont know
    im using cent
    does it download from the developers?
    can i change where installs come from?
    which is the best source
    that was sure quick compared to windows
    thanks for reading

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonin View Post
    where am i connecting to to install this? i dont know
    im using cent does it download from the developers?
    You should be able to look in your /etc/yum.repos.d/ directory and/or your /etc/yum.conf file to see which repositories your packages are coming from. You can edit those files to add or remove repositories. Check the documentation found at the CentOS website for details on using yum for installing and managing packages.
    oz

Most software packages start out with a home page on Sourceforge, or perhaps their own site if they're big enough. These are maintained by the developers of the package (often referred to as the "upstream" developers; you can download source code from here but not compiled packages.

The repositories for your distribution are maintained by the "downstream" distribution developer team. They choose the packages they like and build (compile) them against the correct versions of all libraries so that they are guaranteed to work on your system. They also choose which build parameters to use - which may not necessarily produce the results you might prefer.

A few distros (notably Gentoo, Crux and Sourcemage) use source code which is downloaded and built locally, but this is still done automatically by a package manager.

If you want to use a package which is not in your distro's repository, you can go to the upstream site with your browser, download the code and build it yourself. If you want a package that is in the repository but built with different parameters, you can usually ask your package manager to install the source code, and again build locally.

Or you can add a different repository to the existing list. But I wouldn't recommend it. Mixing repositories (for example using an Ubuntu repository for Debian) is often a recipe for feeding incompatibilities into your system.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"