Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys I wana talke regarding my linux experience: Is that - its been great and fantastic despite this fact that i liked it i am confused in multiple distros ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

My Linux experience - Few doubts.

Hi Guys

I wana talke regarding my linux experience:

Is that - its been great and fantastic despite this fact that i liked it i am confused in multiple distros i do not like one i like many. Its been a problem for me i wna use linux for web developement and want good support for wireless drivers i want good graphics for movies atleast.
    I have been confused so far in Fedora 17 , Ubuntu 12.04 and linux Mint. and Opensuse12.2.
    I did not like unity but i still used ubuntu but i found out many installed packages did not work fine but wireless was automatically enabled internet experience was good but not software experience so i uninstalled it after i used mint13 Cinnamon i found it great but many installed games did not workd even worked good in recognising wireless drivers but many games software packages had same prob. just like ubuntu- crashed did not open.
    But internet wise its great for websurfing and movies but i need something for web and software development- Pls let me know is mint 14 good for Netbeans and Eclipse based software development.
    Then i installed OpenSuse12.2 and fedora 17 tripple boot with Win7. but suse and fedora are same in use i found that yum and yast its differeence but its same feeling and commands so i used fedora formatetd suse12.2. now i found that fedora was fantastic also able to run broken repos os software which did not run in Ubuntu like cheese software crashed in ubuntu. i found out that its tremendous but i got great pain installing wireless, after getting wireless drivers installed my internet experience was not a good experience in many softwares its great. i wana use it but i think REDHAT has kept this apart and its like a testing kit but fedora is good. but due to my wireless and internet experience i may have to format it again and use open suse12.2.

I understood for great programmer any linux distros is good they can customise slackware or fedora but for normal users who just use it for entertainment/surfing the web i think limuxmint cinnamon is kind of good its like dont waste time and use OS.in fedora there are 100s of tweaks have to make it install it bit by bit.

But still confused which one to use because when we have to use OS for only development for web and software may be i would not like to waste my time in installing and checking many Distros i just wna use any of Ubuntu / Fedora / Open Suse or Mint.These four are really great.
    For programers who have much time for customization i think fedora and slackware are good or BSD ones.

Please also let me know in which OS i can have better web experience.

Also one more Think what you guys think could opensuse 12.2 be better option than fedora17.

Thanks a lot ,its what i though in last few days for OSs i installed and used although i did not use slackware but i used Ubuntu,mint,fedora and opensuse.
    Last edited by akmonlinuxforums; 12-12-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Linux Enthusiast
    I don't know, but keep going and let us know what you think of the distros you try out. You'll become an expert linux installer and can give advice to other people who are trying to do the exact thing you're doing.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the post my friend...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by akmonlinuxforums View Post
    My Linux experience - Few doubts.
    If you don't personally try those other distros that you are interested in, your doubts will likely continue because others can go on and on about how great or lousy certain distros are for them, but you won't know for sure how well they would have worked out for you and your own computer hardware until you've tested them yourself.

In the end, any application meant to be installed on Linux machines should work with just about any distribution. The main thing I'd suggest you take into consideration for any distro you want to know about would be the package management tools, package availability, and if stability is important, the distro's stability track record. In addition, if the distribution is not very well known, or hasn't been around for long, will it still be around a year or two from now?

I personally think you are on the right track trying various distros, just like you have been. Sure, it takes some time to try each one, but it's the only way to know for sure what you like and what you don't. It's far better for you to make that decision than to allow someone else to make it for you.

Either way, good luck to you with the search...
    oz

Just Joined!
    You are on the right track to finding the Linux distro that suits you. Another item you might consider is to just use the liveCD of the distro you are interested in. You will not be able to install anything, but you can determine how well the distro will work with your hardware and what the networking experience will be like.
    Another option would be to install VMWare Player or VirtualBox and try out the different linux distros in a virtual environment. This will prevent multiple installs on your main machine. Hope this helps you out.

Happy hunting!

Just Joined!
    Thanks you guys.
    but this is still open and share your thoughts that make me understand many things ,Thanks i tried few distros with live CDS , and now i have got many CDS and DVDs of Linux distros all...

Thanks you guys.
    but this is still open and share your thoughts that make me understand many things ,Thanks i tried few distros with live CDS , and now i have got many CDS and DVDs of Linux distros all...

Pick a topic, there are literally hundreds to begin with. What do you need help with?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Guru
    now i have got many CDS and DVDs of Linux distros all...
    Install VirtualBox, then you can simply download an iso of a distribution that interests you and boot it in VBox. No need for a CD, DVD, flash drive.

Just Joined!
    thanks "yancek" thats cool option i did not know i can direct download n iso and install on VM.

...i did not know i can direct download n iso and install on VM.
    Sure you can. Simply download the .iso file for the distro. Then, after installing your VM software, point the installer to the downloaded file.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.