Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I recently installed Zorin OS6 and I'm loving it but have a few questions. When I leave my desktop idle for only a few minutes it seems to hibernate ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to Zorin OS6. Need help

Hi, I recently installed Zorin OS6 and I'm loving it but have a few questions.
    When I leave my desktop idle for only a few minutes it seems to hibernate and I need to enter my password to get back on line. Can't seem to find where to adjust the timer.
    How do I remove programs? For instance, Yahoo toolbar does not seem to work properly on linux and I'd like to remove it. Also, if I download an app and then don't like it I'd like to be able to remove it.
    The Start menu button frequently freezes up. Can this be corrected?
    Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Linux Guru
    I'm not very familiaar with Zorin but from what I could ascertain, it is based on Lubuntu 12.04. Check the site below to see if that helps otherwise try googling "disable screen lock on Zorin OS".

Lubuntu Tips: Lubuntu Screensaver Lock

Removing programs on Ubuntu derivatives like Zorin can be done with the apt-get command, using the Synaptic Package Manager or the Software Manager. Newer releases use the Software Manager by default. Where are you downloading apps from? You should get all your programs from the repositories and I expect Zorin also uses the Ubuntu repositories. So you remove them by reversing the install process from the Software Manager or apt-get remove program. If you are downloading prograams from the internet in general that might be related to your problem with the Start menu button, don't know?

Yahoo toolbar on which browser?

Just Joined!

Thanks Yancek

You helped with removing programs. I found the package manager and can use it. Thanks
    As for the other problems..I seem to have an entirely different menu than the one shown in the link you sent me. Googled disable screenlock on zorin6 and got a whole long list of black screen problems but none like my prob.
    I don't have to restart the pc just log in my password. Even if I leave the thing running while I upload a music album it willk shut down if I don't move the mouse around.
    It's really annoying.
    I'm using firefox browser and I get all my apps through the provided ubuntu program manager.
    The start menu button frequently freezes or crashes and I have to restart in order to access the menu. Just did it while I was typing this response.
    Again, thanks for the response and the help my friend.

Linux Guru
    I just did this a few days ago on an installation of Linux Mint 13 which is also Ubuntu based. I'm sure the method will be different as I had KDE desktop with Mint. I don't know what yours is but what I did was go to System Settings, Display and Monitor and Screensaver and there was a check box with "Require password after 60 seconds". So I would suggest you find the Screensaver Settings under Display/Monitor. There must be some option there.

Check the link below, it indicates you need to get to Screensaver settings, scroll down to Screensaver Lock:

Zorin Group Forum • View topic - Things I have altered after the installation of Zorin OS 5.2

Just Joined!
    I seem to have different everything from what you have. Under system settings/display all it shows me is resolution, rotation and something to do with turning mirrors on or off. Under power I get suspend when inactive for: and its set for don't suspend.
    I still have major problems with the menu button. I even tried to change it from the zorin button to the gnome button but it will not permit that.
    I'm beginning to think that either I got a bad version or zorin is not as great as I thought.

Linux Guru
    I seem to have different everything from what you have
    That's because I don't have Zorin installed and have never used it. I disabled Linux Mint screen lock and since they are both Ubuntu based, there should be some similarity althoug I have KDE on Mint and I guess Zorin uses Gnome. There should be some Screensaver option to not lock after a time.

Take a look at the link below. It is on the Mint forums but it is dealing with this issue in gnome. I don't know if you have the same versin of Gnome. If the first step doesn't provide any positive response, then I would not expect it to work.

Linux Mint Forums • View topic - How To Disable Lock Screen In Gnome

You might check your version of Gnome(2, 3) and google disable screen lock on Gnome?".
    Did you do an md5checksum on the Zorin iso file you downloaded? There usually are instructions on verifying your download on the download page. There should be an md5sum
    on the Zorin page, long series of numbers/letter. Might check that at their download page.

Just Joined!
    Thanks yancek.
    I tried the instructions on the link you sent. Can't access the gconfig editor using alt f2.
    I didn't install it myself, I had a tech do it for me so I don't know if he checked md5checksum or not.
    I really like this os if I could get these probs fixed.
    Thanks for trying. I really appreciate it.

Linux Guru
    I tried the instructions on the link you sent. Can't access the gconfig editor using alt f2.
    You just need to open a terminal. Don't know why the Alt+F2 didn't work but if you know how to access a terminal, run the command there. You may need root. Try first, gconf-editor, if that doesn't work, try: sudo gconf-editor. If you don't see the windows shown at the link, I'm not sure what else to do.

If you like Zorin, you might go to first link I posted for Zorin and register and login and post the questions there.

Just Joined!
    I'm tech illiterate. That's why I went with zorin instead of one of the more complicated systems.
    I've only been using a pc for a few years now.
    I wanted something faster and more secure than win 7 and after watching a lot of vids I thought zorin was it.
    Guess not.
    I signed up for a zorin 6 forum but have not been approved as yet (only 3 days)
    Thanks for trying to help my friend.