Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am installing drupal onto a server I have access to. I followed the following commands from a guide and managed to install it right. But I am trying to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What does the following commands do/mean?(Installing Drupal on Ubuntu)

I am installing drupal onto a server I have access to. I followed the following commands from a guide and managed to install it right. But I am trying to figure out what exactly they mean/do. Anyone can help explain or maybe direct me to a site where it is explained. Been trying to google around and nothing comes out clearly. Example even though I installed phpmyadmin, I am curious if I can run drupal without having to install it. Thank you.

Do advice if I happened to miss any step.

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install lamp-server^
    sudo apt-get install php5
    sudo apt-get install phpmyadmin
    sudo apt-get install drupal7
    sudo cp /etc/drupal/7/apache2.conf /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/drupal.conf
    sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
    mysql -u root -p
    CREATE DATABASE dbdrupal;
    Go to browser and type in http://host/drupal7/install.php to install drupal

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by keshk View Post
    I am installing drupal onto a server I have access to. I followed the following commands from a guide and managed to install it right. But I am trying to figure out what exactly they mean/do. Anyone can help explain or maybe direct me to a site where it is explained. Been trying to google around and nothing comes out clearly. Example even though I installed phpmyadmin, I am curious if I can run drupal without having to install it. Thank you.

Do advice if I happened to miss any step.

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install lamp-server^
    sudo apt-get install php5
    sudo apt-get install phpmyadmin
    sudo apt-get install drupal7
    sudo cp /etc/drupal/7/apache2.conf /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/drupal.conf
    sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
    mysql -u root -p
    CREATE DATABASE dbdrupal;
    Go to browser and type in http://host/drupal7/install.php to install drupal
    First of all the "sudo" command takes the remainder of the line (all the arguments) and executes the command as user "root". In order to install into the system files, the user root must do the install. When you use "sudo" you need to validate that you are you by entering your own password.

The command "apt-get" is the package manager for Debian based distros (such as Ubuntu, Mint Linux).

The sub-command to apt-get is the action that the package manager is to do. In your example, you have two subcommands
    • update --- make sure your system has the latest package information
    • install --- install a package by its name

So you made sure that your system had the latest package information and then you installed the packages of:
    • lamp-server
    • php5
    • phpmyadmin
    • drupal7

The next command copied the "drupal apache configuration file into the apache confiuration area (apache is the web server) and then the next command restarted the apache daemon (the server).
    The command "mysql -u root -p" starts mysql (a database server) as user "root" and will prompt you for the password. This command reads commands from standard in (stdin) and it tells the the mysql daemon to create the database "dbdrupal".

Since I have never installed Drupal, I have no idea what the web page does on the server that it tells you to goto (but it must setup its needed environment).