Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jayd512
I am a user who is looking to convert his old Dell 2350 into a Linux machine. Which is the best Linux to use for this given the 2350's specs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Linux for Dell 2350?

I am a user who is looking to convert his old Dell 2350 into a Linux machine. Which is the best Linux to use for this given the 2350's specs (below)? Please note that it is an older machine so will not have the firepower of the newer computers. Thanks.

Specs
    Last edited by jayd512; 12-28-2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Added a lnk

Linux Engineer
    I don't see any specs listed.

For pentium 4 class machines, biggest issue is going to be RAM and video RAM.

Most modern distros should run, as long as you're not doing anything graphically intense. Consider using a lightweight window manager such as Openbox.
    Check out crunch bang: DistroWatch.com: CrunchBang Linux

Hello and Welcome!

I looked up your system specs here. It looks like a capable machine, if not exactly a powerhouse. So you'll be only slightly limited.
    You will probably run into issues if you try to run a full-blown distro like Ubuntu or Fedora, simply because of the memory and graphics requirements.
    But lighter options like CrunchBang, antiX, SliTaz or Lubuntu should do quite nicely on that hardware.
    All of these are Debian/Ubuntu based, so you'll have access to plenty of software after your initial install.
    Last edited by jayd512; 12-31-2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    kareempharmacist likes this.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    The forum will not allow me to post the link for the specs.

Like Mizzle said

Documentation

Tell us exactly ram specs mostly. Hard to recommend something until ram specs are posted/ Looks like P4 processor to me though. Would help if we had more details.

Intel® Pentium® 4 that runs at 1.80, 2.00, 2.40, or 2.50 GHz internally and 400 MHz externally;

Intel Celeron® that runs at 1.70, 2.00, 2.10, 2.20, or 2.30 GHz internally and 400 MHz externally.

NOTE: Microprocessor offerings vary by country.
    [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu on Dell with No Linux Experience - Ubuntu Forums

Has a lot of input in that thread.

The forum will not allow me to post the link for the specs.
    Just hand write in the specs on next post
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Hi, whig4life.

I went ahead and added a link to your first post. It points to the Dell page for your system specs.
    In the meantime, until you have 15 posts, you can work around the link posting by removing the http://www. portion of it.
    Just FYI.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

RAM is likely to be a factor. I have a laptop with 256MB of RAM which runs Arch and Debian - Arch runs faster on that PC. If you are limited in terms of RAM then a minimal install, with a window manager rather than a desktop environment is likely to work. You can try one of the distros that loads to RAM ... if you have enough they run well ... if you don't then it will run really slow or fail to load.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    You can try one of the distros that loads to RAM ... if you have enough they run well ... if you don't then it will run really slow or fail to load.
    such as puppy linux