Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Hi, I'm new to Linux but my background is from IT support mostly windows based which include basic trouble shooting of networks. I would like to get help on how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need Guidance on Linux

Hi,
    I'm new to Linux but my background is from IT support mostly windows based which include basic trouble shooting of networks. I would like to get help on how to start on Linux administration and prepare for some certifications. I recently migrated to Canada and want to put my step in IT field here. I have learned that certifications play important role in getting jobs.
    If I can get some guidance here I will truly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Ali

Howdy there, ali! Welcome to LinuxForums!

IMO, best way to start learning about Linux is to use it on a day-to-day basis. Use it for a daily usage OS.
    You'll find yourself needing to install software, copy a file, use a flash drive and other normal tasks.
    After you're comfortable, you can look into various certs.

Just my two cents
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Guru
    If you are a long time windows user, two options would be to dual-boot with a Linux distribution or install virtual software like VirtualBox and run Linux in it, or vice versa.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks everyone for replying and helping me so far, I have already started installing Linux on a P4 IBM eserver. I am also thinking to make a few VM's and try different flavours of Linux. I guess installation would not be that great of a problem for me but working on command line wouldn't be easy. If I can get some tips for the command line that would be appreciated.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by alihaiders View Post
    Thanks everyone for replying and helping me so far, I have already started installing Linux on a P4 IBM eserver. I am also thinking to make a few VM's and try different flavours of Linux. I guess installation would not be that great of a problem for me but working on command line wouldn't be easy. If I can get some tips for the command line that would be appreciated.
    I don't know what they have in Canada, but you can check out Linux+ and RHCE study books from the local library here in the US. If you follow along with LPIC-1 study guide, you should learn quite a bit. I highly recommend getting RHCE certified.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    I don't know what they have in Canada, but you can check out Linux+ and RHCE study books from the local library here in the US. If you follow along with LPIC-1 study guide, you should learn quite a bit. I highly recommend getting RHCE certified.
    I want to get ready for LPIC-1 exam and I am using IBM developerworks website for that, just wondering if that would be the preparation for RHCE too

Quote Originally Posted by alihaiders View Post
    If I can get some tips for the command line that would be appreciated.
    For some CLI experience, try to handle as many admin tasks as you can from a command terminal instead of relying on GUI tools.
    A good website that might help you along: LinuxCommand.org: Learn the Linux command line. Write shell scripts.
    Last edited by jayd512; 01-04-2013 at 02:53 AM. Reason: spelling
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I have installed Ubuntu on a stand alone system but it was an easy task I was wondering which Linux I should install and start working on?

Since you already have Ubuntu installed, I'd suggest just sticking with that for a while. At least until you get fairly comfortable working from the command line.
    From there, you could try some of the less 'Newbie Friendly' distros. Debian, Slackware, Arch, CRUX or Gentoo all come to mind.
    None of these do any real hand-holding when you install, so you have to dig in and get your hands dirty to achieve a working system. But after you do, you'll have a smooth and responsive OS. You'll also have a better understanding of Linux in general.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    I have already started working on the command line with some basics. making directories, text files, and playing around with them.
    Is there any particular exercise of commands which can help me get a hold of it a bit quicker?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast