Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
750GB drive has Linux OS only. It looks like you have selected Use Whole Drive option during Linux Installation....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

750GB drive has Linux OS only. It looks like you have selected Use Whole Drive option during Linux Installation.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thats to bad. Now I will have to reinstall everything. At least nothing was lost.

Which version of linux would be best for me? I have heard mint is good, should I be using that instead of ubuntu?

Is there a link to should me how to properly make a dual boot windows 7 and linux? Thanks for all your help

Both Mint and Ubuntu are perfect for new users. Try LiveCD/USB of both and decided which one you like more.

For dual boot setup, install Windows OS first. Create partition layout before Linux installation. You can use PartedMagic LiveCD/USB or Disk Partition package available in Mint/Ubuntu LiveCDs to manage partitions.

/dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2, first 2 partitions are necessary for Windows OS. Everything else depends on your requirement.

Following is the partition structure of one of my machine. Its triple boot, Windows 7 and two Linux distros.
    Code:
    /dev/sda1 - Windows System Partition (NTFS) - 100 MB
    /dev/sda2 - Windows 7 OS (NTFS)  - 80GB
    /dev/sda3 - Data sharing (NTFS) - 100GB
    /dev/sda4 - Extended Partition using rest of disk space
    /dev/sda5 - Data sharing (NTFS) - 100GB
    /dev/sda6 - SWAP - 1 GB
    /dev/sda7 - Linux OS (ext4) - 15GB
    /dev/sda8 - Linux OS (ext4) - 15GB
    /dev/sda9-11 - Free partitions (ext4/ntfs) for future Linux installations or data sharing.
    During Linux installation, select Manual ( Custom ) Partitioning in Partitioning Section. Assign / mount point to partition where you want to install Linux. Thats all. Installer will take care of everything else. It will detect other installed OSes and setup dual/multi boot itself.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2