Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to linux, but the idea of a Linux OS I can boot from an SD card seems very convenient for my work. I understand that is possible ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing bootable OS on an encrypted SD?

I am new to linux, but the idea of a Linux OS I can boot from an SD card seems very convenient for my work. I understand that is possible according to this article:

pandorawiki.org/Running_Linux_from_an_SD_card

And this one, too:

linuxgeekoid.wordpress.com/2011/07/12/successfully-booting-and-installing-linux-from-a-flash-or-sd-card/

But what I want to do is have is full disk encryption on the SD card because it will be accessing banking details and sensitive financial data. I found this, concerning a similar setup on a USB card:

superuser.com/questions/87919/how-can-i-create-an-encrypted-bootable-thumbdrive-containing-linux

Is there any difference I should know about with the installation of more recent linux offerings?

I'm assuming it would be similar to this tutorial, except I want it on an SD card, not a hdd:

linuxbsdos.com/2011/05/10/how-to-install-ubuntu-11-04-on-an-encrypted-lvm-file-system/

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by messus View Post
    I am new to linux, but the idea of a Linux OS I can boot from an SD card seems very convenient for my work. I understand that is possible according to this article:

pandorawiki.org/Running_Linux_from_an_SD_card

And this one, too:

linuxgeekoid.wordpress.com/2011/07/12/successfully-booting-and-installing-linux-from-a-flash-or-sd-card/

But what I want to do is have is full disk encryption on the SD card because it will be accessing banking details and sensitive financial data. I found this, concerning a similar setup on a USB card:

superuser.com/questions/87919/how-can-i-create-an-encrypted-bootable-thumbdrive-containing-linux

Is there any difference I should know about with the installation of more recent linux offerings?

I'm assuming it would be similar to this tutorial, except I want it on an SD card, not a hdd:

linuxbsdos.com/2011/05/10/how-to-install-ubuntu-11-04-on-an-encrypted-lvm-file-system/
    It should be the same process/procedure to create an encrypted bootable SD card as it is a hard drive. I haven't tried, but at worst it won't work and you will have to wipe the SD card and start over.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!