Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I am using arm based raspberry pi. I have installed my kernel, cross tool-chain libraries and Busybox. My root file system is very minimal. But my kernel version I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

uname shows Linux kernel version

Hello I am using arm based raspberry pi. I have installed my kernel, cross tool-chain libraries and Busybox. My root file system is very minimal. But my kernel version I have installed is 3.2.27+ but uname -a , cat /proc/version shows 3.1.9+. My /lib/modules also contains 3.2.27+ folder no folder named 3.1.9+.

can any one tell me why this strange problem happens??

When I try to start any modules using modprobe this basically finding the module in 3.1.9+ folder but it does not exist.

I had cross compiled the kernel with a old arm tool-chain named arm-2010q1-202-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2. I also copy those shared libs and include files in to my rootfs. Is this problem occurring for that???

I just get puzzled in that... Can any one find any possibilities for this behavior!!!

Thank you for help

Just Joined!
    I think the kerenl which you have installed has its kerenel version no as 3.1.9+ , I have seen this earlier . I dont know exactly where in the kernel source you can find this , but I think you can find it by greping it in your kernel sources.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by kartikkg View Post
    I think the kerenl which you have installed has its kerenel version no as 3.1.9+ , I have seen this earlier . I dont know exactly where in the kernel source you can find this , but I think you can find it by greping it in your kernel sources.
    I think this toolchain was built with kernel headers 3.1.9. If toolchain and glibc have built with a specific kernel header is there any trouble for that??

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by shantanubanerjee75 View Post
    I think this toolchain was built with kernel headers 3.1.9. If toolchain and glibc have built with a specific kernel header is there any trouble for that??
    No I dont think that is the troube, the point you are mentioned comes into play when you want to build modules and inser them against a kernel for which these modules were not built .Suppose you a build a module agains 3.1.9 and want to inser that module in 3.1.7 it will give some errors , but this is not a compiler issue.
    Can you build some kerenl 2.6.x and try the uname command again . Download kernels from kerenel.org