Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by jarome I am an OpenSUSE fan. They have great support for bugs, and yast2 does everything for you in a gui. And they have one-click install for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by jarome View Post
    I am an OpenSUSE fan. They have great support for bugs, and yast2 does everything for you in a gui. And they have one-click install for most programs.
    I'm surprised when I saw that the iso file of OpenSUSE is awfully BIG! 4.7 GiB. Mandriva was only 1.4 GiB. But, anyways, I'm downloading it right now (I have a free unlimited data plan from 2AM-8AM). Maybe I will be using OpenSUSE. Mandriva is consuming a lot of resources, like sometimes my mouse doesn't move move. I don't know why Mandriva is so resource hungry. Everything else about Mandriva is so cool.

I had installed WinXP(my brother plays games on it) on C: drive and Mandriva on a separate partition /dev/sda7 (which I guess was windows E: counterpart before formatting it into ext4 because that drive doesn't show up in Windows My Computer anymore). I had backed up my E: driveīs files in D drive. Now after I installed Mandriva and was copying backup files back to /home/backup, my computer crashed two times with nothing but Chrome and Clementine running alongside, which is NOT cool.

The distro chooser (www(dot)zegeniestudios(dot)net/ldc/) says that even Linux Mint and Ubunty(I hate Unity) are also a resource hungry monster. Maybe openSUSE was just the thing (I haven tried it yet!). Can you guys tell me if openSUSE will work smoothly on,

- 2.4 GHz processor
    - 1 GB RAM
    - Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS (500 MB GPU)
    - 250 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive

Mandriva is jerky on this configuration! I'm not going back to Windows. Or finally maybe Lubuntu? So what am I missing!
    Again the same question, What distro is best for me?

The major DEs like Unity or KDE are going to be eat some resources. If you find that you like the system, like Mandriva, you may want to simply install a lighter desktop. Xfce and LXDE are both nice to look at, but easier on resource usage.
    Also, since you have 1 GB of RAM, did you happen to setup a SWAP partition during installation?
    SWAP allows the operating system to utilize a portion of the hard drive in a similar fashion to RAM. So a 2 GB SWAP partition would, in effect, give you an additional 2 GB of system memory.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    The major DEs like Unity or KDE are going to be eat some resources. If you find that you like the system, like Mandriva, you may want to simply install a lighter desktop. Xfce and LXDE are both nice to look at, but easier on resource usage.
    Also, since you have 1 GB of RAM, did you happen to setup a SWAP partition during installation?
    SWAP allows the operating system to utilize a portion of the hard drive in a similar fashion to RAM. So a 2 GB SWAP partition would, in effect, give you an additional 2 GB of system memory.
    Yep. I did setup a swap partition of about 907 MB i.e dev/sda8 and ext4 of 80 GB during Mandriva Setup. Consuming some resource is fine but consuming so much resource that my computer will freeze and I have to restart it is not cool. Even Windows 8 didnīt freeze with that system configuration. Maybe, yes, I need a lighter desktop. What distro uses XFCE or LXDE? Please donīt suggest LUbuntu. I donīt like Ubuntu.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by annadaprasad View Post
    What distro uses XFCE or LXDE?
    Any distro can use them. You can install them from your distros repos.
    For a Debian based system, do sudo apt-get install lxde, or sudo apt-get install xfce4.
    For Fedora or CentOS, very similar. yum install lxde or yum install xfce4.

You can take a look at the search page of DistroWatch for more detailed choices of distros. Just choose one of the various options in the Desktop environment box to search for it.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Any distro can use them. You can install them from your distros repos.
    For a Debian based system, do sudo apt-get install lxde, or sudo apt-get install xfce4.
    For Fedora or CentOS, very similar. yum install lxde or yum install xfce4.

You can take a look at the search page of DistroWatch for more detailed choices of distros. Just choose one of the various options in the Desktop environment box to search for it.
    What about RPM-based distros, like Red-Hat? I mean Mandriva is a RPM based. And Iḿ still using it. Iḿ gonna give it a try while Iḿ still on Mandriva.

I'm not familiar with Mandriva, but I think you should be able to do:
    Code:
    urpmi lxde
    urpmi is the CLI package management tool. You can get more info on it from the man pages.
    Code:
    man urpmi
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3