Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
As the title states, I can no longer connect to the internet. Nothing has changed except the router. I can't even connect to the router through Firefox. Am I missing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Upgraded router. Have the latest ubuntu. No Internet Connection

As the title states, I can no longer connect to the internet. Nothing has changed except the router. I can't even connect to the router through Firefox. Am I missing a setting or do I have to renew the IP? I tried running ifconfig but it appears I am missing something. I am not using a wireless connection on this Linux box. It is hard wired. Thanks in advance!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Are you using a static or dhcp address on your computer? If static, it is possible that the address is not in the router's tables. Switch to DHCP, and either disconnect eth0 from the network and reconnect it so it gets a new address, or reboot. If that works, then you know what your problem is. Assuming you want a local static IP address, you will have to configure the router to allocate from one range of addresses for dhcp, leaving the others for static addresses.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can see the IP, 192.168.0.5. Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 And Default Gateway 192.168.0.1. The Mac had some issues wirelessly but I corrected that this evening. The Windows XP machines have no networking issues. The new router settings are identical to the old router settings. I was just hoping I could release/renew the IP on the Linux box. I was hoping to learn the commands that i need to enter in the terminal window.

That's rather odd. Are you able to ping the router from your Linux box?
    What type of router is this? Brand and model number?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris43068 View Post
    I was just hoping I could release/renew the IP on the Linux box. I was hoping to learn the commands that i need to enter in the terminal window.
    Code:
    sudo dhclient -r
    sudo dhclient eth0
    The first command should release and the second renew. Assuming that the network device is eth0.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Jay-I can ping the router from terminal but cannot reach it from a browser. Also, it doesn't give me very much info when I ping it something like (54/84). It is throwing the MAC address and IP's to my networking utility so it seems to "see" it. My provider is WOW Internet and Cable, the router is an ARRIS model TG862.

Elija-I tried that first command but it appeared that it didn't do anything. I tried sudo dhclient and it returned "file exists". I'll try the other, though. Thanks!

From the terminal, I entered "sudo dhclient -r" and it returned "enter sudo password for chris". I entered my password and it returned me to the prompt. I entered "sudo dhclient -r" again and it quickly returned me to the prompt. I then entered "sudo dhclient eth0" and it "thought" for a long time then returned me to the prompt. I restarted the machine and tried to fetch email. "Server not found".

I tried sudo dhclient and it returned "file exists".
    Did it give the exact name of the file? If so, post the name here.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    From the terminal, I entered "sudo dhclient -r" and it returned "enter sudo password for chris". I entered my password and it returned me to the prompt. I entered "sudo dhclient -r" again and it quickly returned me to the prompt. I then entered "sudo dhclient eth0" and it "thought" for a long time then returned me to the prompt. I restarted the machine and tried to fetch email. "Server not found".
    You shouldn't need to reboot after doing this. What does the command ifconfig show after refreshing the lease? What's in the file /etc/resolv.conf ?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast