Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Guys, I have a server sitting with ESX 3i which I access through my windows PC. Is there a possibility I can access it using my Ubuntu Desktop 12.04. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Accessing Esx 3i Server through my Linux box

Hello Guys,

I have a server sitting with ESX 3i which I access through my windows PC. Is there a possibility I can access it using my Ubuntu Desktop 12.04.

Just to add some more info the physical machine I am using on which Ubuntu is installed is an IBM xSeries 206, in short its a 32 bit hardware.

Please let me know if there is a possibility that I can access my VM's using my Ubuntu box

Thanks in advance

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    How do you access it from Windows? I access many different VMs, both local ones as well as ones in the Amazon cloud, from my Linux systems daily - I'm doing so right now to a local and an Amazon system at the same time.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    How do you access it from Windows? I access many different VMs, both local ones as well as ones in the Amazon cloud, from my Linux systems daily - I'm doing so right now to a local and an Amazon system at the same time.
    From the windows box i access it through Vsphere client. How do you access it from Linux can you Please help me out.

Thanks,
    Ali

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    There is no vSphere client for linux, but a WebClient:
    VMware KB: Availability of vSphere Client for Linux systems

So the easiest and most reliable route might be to use vSphere on a native windows box or via VM.

If you are more adventurous, there is said WebClient from VMware and also a few 3rd_party tools for the same purpose,
    but with various levels of feature completeness.
    vEMan - An unofficial VMwareŽ ESX(i) Manager for Linux
    VMware KB: Availability of vSphere Client for Linux systems
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    [QUOTE=Irithori;915995]There is no vSphere client for linux, but a WebClient:

So the easiest and most reliable route might be to use vSphere on a native windows box or via VM.

If you are more adventurous, there is said WebClient from VMware and also a few 3rd_party tools for the same purpose,
    but with various levels of feature completeness.

Thank you very much, I will try it out and will post my reply if it work on my 32 bit machine

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Most of these systems will support ssh to get a shell/terminal session going. If it doesn't support that, then you may have to run the vSphere client in Linux using Wine (if it works). If that doesn't work, then you can also run Windows in a Linux virtual machine and run the client there. I do that for a few Windows apps that won't play nice with Wine.

Linux Enthusiast
    I use the web interface (to a newer version of ESXi don't know if that matters or not) without issues (however, I had to download a java applet to get the console).

Quote Originally Posted by alf55 View Post
    I use the web interface (to a newer version of ESXi don't know if that matters or not) without issues (however, I had to download a java applet to get the console).
    That's not an uncommon approach to a web-browser front-end, to need an applet to run a console window. If the Web UI works for you in Linux, then go that route.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Most of these systems will support ssh to get a shell/terminal session going...
    generally ESXi servers do support ssh connections.

additionally in order to perform VM related operations on Hosts there are VMware's offerings like PowerCLI or VSphere CLI for linux. have a look at this, it might help in ur case.

If you install vmware's vmplayer in ubuntu you can use it to connect to your virtual machines, just call it from the command line vmplayer -h <server_ip> and you will have a list of the virtual machines in your server and you can connect to any of them. You won't be able to change any settings of the VM like processors, memory or disk allocated, but you can use its consoles
    Last edited by arespi; 01-23-2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: typo