Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I'm seriously thinking about switching to fedora, right now my main OS is OSX, and have s couple of questions before making my final decision. Main reason for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question thinking about switching to fedora

Hi guys,

I'm seriously thinking about switching to fedora, right now my main OS is OSX, and have s couple of questions before making my final decision. Main reason for this that a new Mac is really expensive.

Is there someone here that has switched from OSX? What do you miss about OSX? Is it a smooth transition?

Can I dual boot a windows 8 computer with fedora the same way as a windows 7? I'll be buying a new laptop I'm considering having windows 8 as my secondary OS.

I'm not completely new to Linux, many moons ago I used to have Ubuntu as my secondary OS, but rarely used it. Also not new to configuring Linux, although not an experienced user.

Any other thought would be appreciated.

Thanks.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jgezau View Post
    Any other thought would be appreciated.
    Hello and welcome to the forum!

Yes, you can dual-boot Win8 and Fedora.

If you don't already have one, I'd recommend creating a good backup or system image of your current working system, then you can experiment all you want with any distro of your choice. That way, if you decide you don't like Linux or any particular distro, you can easily restore your backup and be right back to where you are now, with nothing lost except for some of your time. Doing it this way, you can decide for yourself what you like and don't like about each distribution.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Or you can install virtual box in windows and try install linux as guest OS. You can test will all flavours.
    If you happy with any one then try dual booting.

Just Joined!
    I have been testing Fedora with VMWare in my Mac, so far I like it.